Breivik convicted, judged sane

  • News
  • Thread starter arildno
  • Start date
In summary: The compensatory mechanism is a replacement for formal punishment, rather than an extra hard punishment.It is meant to keep people deemed "extremely dangerous" off the streets, if the court at re-evaluations cannot say he is still sufficiently dangerous, he must be released.Even if only 10 years have passed since his atrocities.He can, however, for each 5-year interval be deemed still sufficiently dangerous, and there are no prescribed any maximum number of such re-valuaions. Thus, he can be detained forever.... Thus, he can be detained forever.
  • #1
arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
10,123
137
Unfortunately, he didn't vanish forever into a black hole, but smirked in that creepy way of his.
His last words was that he does not recognize Norwegian courts, and thus will not appeal the verdict.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2
What a creep! He took so many lives... and may serve 21 years. :cry: I am not a fan of the death penalty (it often gets invoked along racial lines in the US), but countries may benefit from instituting it.
 
  • #3
Theoretically, he can get out after just 10 years.

"Preventative detention" is a substitute for formal punishment, rather than an extra hard punishment.

It is meant to keep people deemed "extremely dangerous" off the streets, if the court at re-evaluations cannot say he is still sufficiently dangerous, he must be released.
Even if only 10 years have passed since his atrocities.

He can, however, for each 5-year interval be deemed still sufficiently dangerous, and there are no prescribed any maximum number of such re-valuaions. Thus, he can be detained forever.
 
  • #4
arildno said:
... Thus, he can be detained forever.

We can only hope. Funny how the death penalty is sooo right in some cases.
 
  • #5
chemisttree said:
We can only hope. Funny how the death penalty is sooo right in some cases.
Slaughtering innocent teens at a summer-camp should have earned him a special place in any criminal penalty system.
 
  • #6
But imagine the lifelong stress and pain this result means for the families of the victims. Just one sharp, short, shock...
 
  • #7
chemisttree said:
But imagine the lifelong stress and pain this result means for the families of the victims. Just one sharp, short, shock...
I can't imagine their distress (beyond the loss of their loved ones). I don't see closure, and that's my problem with that legal system. The death penalty is not retribution, IMO, but a way of getting monsters out of our society without incarceration.
 
  • #8
It is well that he has been found sane – his wishes in that regard are irrelevant. It was grotesque that he was ever given the opportunity to give further expression to his misguided views. But surely, if he holds to his line that his actions were legitimate and that his only regret is that he did not kill more then there cannot be any question of his continuing danger to society. According to British reports, the greatest desire of his surviving victims is that he should now disappear from our attention and into the obscurity he deserves. It is to be hoped that is exactly what happens.
 
  • #9
turbo said:
I can't imagine their distress (beyond the loss of their loved ones). I don't see closure, and that's my problem with that legal system. The death penalty is not retribution, IMO, but a way of getting monsters out of our society without incarceration.

Besides, retribution is explicitly denied as a valid legal principle in Norway. Only protection of society at large, and the desire for rehabilitation are regarded as legitimate principles of law.
Unfortunately, in my view, since none of those principles can, for example, deny the legitimacy of incarcerating innocents.
 
  • #10
turbo said:
I am not a fan of the death penalty (it often gets invoked along racial lines in the US), but countries may benefit from instituting it.

Funny how you mention racism, when so many racists preface their comments with "I'm not a racist, but..."

chemisttree said:
We can only hope. Funny how the death penalty is sooo right in some cases.

Even in cases like this, rehabilitation and public safety are better goals.
 
  • #11
In another related thread, the issue of whether Breivik should be isolated came up. In Norway, isolation is considered cruel and unusual punishment. The government has advertised for paid personnel to keep Breivik company. I assume he will not be isolated in prison. The problem, as I see it, is that Breivik may have many opportunities to "propagandize" his views in prison, and will likely have converts. While he may never get out, any converts almost certainly will. Getting an audience for his fanatical philosophy was what his murderous rampage was all about in the first place. Prison could be an ideal situation for him to influence other like minded individuals if he is not isolated.
 
Last edited:
  • #12
SW VandeCarr said:
In another related thread, the issue of whether Breivik should be isolated came up. In Norway, isolation is considered cruel and unusual punishment. The government has advertised for paid personnel to keep Breivik company. I assume he will not be isolated in prison. The problem, as I see it, is that Breivik may have many opportunities to "propagandize" his views in prison, and will likely have converts. While he may never get out, any converts almost certainly will. Getting an audience for his fanatical philosophy was what his murderous rampage was all about in the first place. Prison could be an ideal situation for him to influence other like minded individuals if he is not isolated.
The compensatory mechanism for isolation within the Norwegian penal system is that the prisoner is to have extended contact with prison personell, like the priest, ordinary guards and so on.
 

1. What was the verdict for Breivik's trial?

The verdict for Breivik's trial was that he was convicted and judged sane.

2. How did the court determine Breivik's mental state?

The court determined Breivik's mental state through a thorough psychiatric evaluation and examination by expert witnesses.

3. Was there any controversy surrounding the verdict?

Yes, there was controversy surrounding the verdict as some argued that Breivik should have been declared insane and others believed he should have received a harsher sentence.

4. What evidence was presented during the trial to support the verdict?

Evidence presented during the trial included Breivik's detailed planning and premeditation of the attacks, his lack of remorse, and his coherent and consistent behavior during the trial.

5. Will Breivik be able to appeal the verdict?

Yes, Breivik has the right to appeal the verdict, but it is ultimately up to the court to decide if an appeal is granted.

Similar threads

  • General Discussion
2
Replies
42
Views
3K
  • General Discussion
Replies
2
Views
4K
Replies
2
Views
2K
Replies
2
Views
3K
  • General Discussion
Replies
4
Views
1K
  • General Discussion
3
Replies
70
Views
11K
  • Special and General Relativity
Replies
12
Views
3K
  • Art, Music, History, and Linguistics
Replies
1
Views
1K
  • General Discussion
Replies
4
Views
3K
Replies
11
Views
2K
Back
Top