Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Breivik convicted, judged sane

1. Aug 24, 2012 #1

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Unfortunately, he didn't vanish forever into a black hole, but smirked in that creepy way of his.
    His last words was that he does not recognize Norwegian courts, and thus will not appeal the verdict.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2012 #2

turbo

Gold Member

What a creep! He took so many lives... and may serve 21 years. :cry: I am not a fan of the death penalty (it often gets invoked along racial lines in the US), but countries may benefit from instituting it.

4. Aug 24, 2012 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Theoretically, he can get out after just 10 years.

"Preventative detention" is a substitute for formal punishment, rather than an extra hard punishment.

It is meant to keep people deemed "extremely dangerous" off the streets, if the court at re-evaluations cannot say he is still sufficiently dangerous, he must be released.
    Even if only 10 years have passed since his atrocities.

He can, however, for each 5-year interval be deemed still sufficiently dangerous, and there are no prescribed any maximum number of such re-valuaions. Thus, he can be detained forever.

5. Aug 25, 2012 #4

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

We can only hope. Funny how the death penalty is sooo right in some cases.

6. Aug 25, 2012 #5

turbo

Gold Member

Slaughtering innocent teens at a summer-camp should have earned him a special place in any criminal penalty system.

7. Aug 25, 2012 #6

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

But imagine the lifelong stress and pain this result means for the families of the victims. Just one sharp, short, shock...

8. Aug 25, 2012 #7

turbo

Gold Member

I can't imagine their distress (beyond the loss of their loved ones). I don't see closure, and that's my problem with that legal system. The death penalty is not retribution, IMO, but a way of getting monsters out of our society without incarceration.

9. Aug 25, 2012 #8
    It is well that he has been found sane – his wishes in that regard are irrelevant. It was grotesque that he was ever given the opportunity to give further expression to his misguided views. But surely, if he holds to his line that his actions were legitimate and that his only regret is that he did not kill more then there cannot be any question of his continuing danger to society. According to British reports, the greatest desire of his surviving victims is that he should now disappear from our attention and into the obscurity he deserves. It is to be hoped that is exactly what happens.

10. Aug 25, 2012 #9

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Besides, retribution is explicitly denied as a valid legal principle in Norway. Only protection of society at large, and the desire for rehabilitation are regarded as legitimate principles of law.
    Unfortunately, in my view, since none of those principles can, for example, deny the legitimacy of incarcerating innocents.

11. Aug 27, 2012 #10
    Funny how you mention racism, when so many racists preface their comments with "I'm not a racist, but..."

Even in cases like this, rehabilitation and public safety are better goals.

12. Aug 27, 2012 #11
    In another related thread, the issue of whether Breivik should be isolated came up. In Norway, isolation is considered cruel and unusual punishment. The government has advertised for paid personnel to keep Breivik company. I assume he will not be isolated in prison. The problem, as I see it, is that Breivik may have many opportunities to "propagandize" his views in prison, and will likely have converts. While he may never get out, any converts almost certainly will. Getting an audience for his fanatical philosophy was what his murderous rampage was all about in the first place. Prison could be an ideal situation for him to influence other like minded individuals if he is not isolated.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  13. Aug 29, 2012 #12

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

The compensatory mechanism for isolation within the Norwegian penal system is that the prisoner is to have extended contact with prison personell, like the priest, ordinary guards and so on.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook