Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bremsstrahlung and chrenkoff

1. Jul 26, 2004 #1
    Bremsstrahlung and Cerenkov

I've been wondering about the different cases of light emittion, and the most unclear to me are Bremsstrahlung and chrenkoff. If u can, please give me details about these two cases. Thank You. :D

Last edited: Jul 26, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2004 #2
    Cerenkov Light

Cerenkov light is light that is emitted when particles travel faster than the speed of light in a medium. For example, if particles travel through glass at a speed faster than light itself would travel through glass, cerenkov light is emitted. It is analogic to the sonic boom.

4. Jul 26, 2004 #3
    yea, i already knew about that, i was wondering if u knew any details to why this sonic boom of light happens.

5. Jul 26, 2004 #4
    Check out this link: http://dept.physics.upenn.edu/balloon/cerenkov_radiation.html

"The electric and magnetic fields associated with a rapidly moving charge excite the atoms of the medium. The excited atoms emit part of their light in the form of a coherent wavefront of radiation at fixed angle with respect to the trajectory of the charged particle"

6. Jul 26, 2004 #5
    k, thanks, that makes sense :D ...but why would the magnetic/electric field caused by the moving particle excite the atoms of the medium. I had a though but im not sure, maybe the charge makes the electrons in the atom repell and go to an outer energy level, but not im sure, any help would be great. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?