1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Brewster's angle

1. Aug 8, 2006 #1
    question:

'light travels from ethanol into crown glass. what's the brewster's angle?' and what is the significance of this angle?'

so i have:
    nr = 1.52 (crown glass
    ni = 1.36 (ethanol)

so it's 1.52/1.36 tan-1 = 48.2 degrees?

and what is the significance of 48 degrees?

any help is appreciated. :wink:

~Amy

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

They're not asking what is the significance of 48 degrees. They're asking what is special about Brewster's angle. For example, what practical optical devices take advantage of the Brewster's angle phenomenon?

4. Aug 8, 2006 #3
    k.. just reading the question here, in my first post i just wrote the short version of the question. is says:

..."what is the significance of this angle of incidence?"

sorry for any confusion..

~Amy

5. Aug 8, 2006 #4

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The Brewster's angle is the angle of incidence at which some phenomenon is at its maximum. If you can find the formula, you should be able to find the phenomenon.

6. Aug 8, 2006 #5
    here's what i wrote:
    Note: 0 = theta

'sin 0R = ni(sin 48.2)/nR
    0R = 41.8 degrees

the angle of incidence is important because (0B = 48.2) + (0R = 41.8) = 90 degrees. the angle of 90 degrees indicates the reflected light is completely polarized parallel to the interface.'

~Amy

7. Aug 8, 2006 #6

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?