1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Brewster's angle

1. Nov 26, 2009 #1
    ok, at brewster angle ,i know when unpolarized light incident on a quartz stack has only s polarized reflections and , s & p polarized refractions into the quartz.

but why is the intensity of refracted light 50% if quartz don't absorb light? is it due to the random nature of unpolarized light so on the average, its 50%?

also, how do i know what is the intensity of the s-light reflected and the s-light refracted with the p-light? am i suppose to use malus' law for the refracted part? but what will be my angle? 90? then what about the reflected part?

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2009 #2
    Don't work your problem with a stack of quartz; that clutters things up. Focus on a single surface.

4. Nov 27, 2009 #3
    ok if i work with only 1 piece, then how do i know the intensity of the reflected s-light? and the transmitted s and p light?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook