Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Brian greene's rough salary

1. Aug 17, 2007 #1
    So anyway, new to this forum, thought i might get started by asking if any one knows what brian greene's rough salary is at a rough estimate.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2007 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Such info is NEVER made public for private individuals, be it Brian Greene or anyone else. Besides, I don't see the relevance to anything that can possibly be of any benefit.

Zz.

4. Aug 17, 2007 #3
    lol, questions like these are the spam of almost every forum in existance.
    I garuntee you i can pull up almost any link of google and find a quote of his income more exposed to the world then this sight in seconds.
    And if your question is about relevance. We are on a physics forum and since im about to begin an intership similar to his title, a question of the salary of one of the most commonly known physics professors in the country might have some kind of importance to me,and possibly the other people interested in "PHYSICS" on the site, but any way, my fault.
    *smirk*

5. Aug 17, 2007 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

You certainly can't expect to base your income on someone like Brian Greene.

Are you familiar with search engines? You could have invested about 30 seconds typing "physicist's salaries" and finding many links like this one.

http://www-physics.ucsd.edu/students/prospective/gr/program/salaries.shtml#startingadvanced1999

Also, can the attitude.

6. Aug 17, 2007 #5
    hmm...i was about to apologize for the "Attitude"
    "can" spices it up quite a bit to..lol
    quite frankly i didnt come in here with an attitude but rather a question.
    An irretable reply was problem. so being a natural human a irretable response is the effect.
    It was early so i kind of lost my patience.
    search engines....wow got to find out how to get on one of those.
    no actually i was but i thought i would start up a conversation here

7. Aug 17, 2007 #6

Evo

Well, you can start fresh. Zz was correct that asking about an individual's income is not appropriate here. Sorry for my response to your reply, but you seemed to be a bit snippy.

8. Aug 17, 2007 #7

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It should also be noted that theoretical physics is not as comfortable of a career route as experimental physics is. By that I mean there is less scope for jobs, and more competition for the fewer jobs. This has been discussed here many times, but it's something worth thinking about-- as well as looking for data on wages of physicists, try and look for something on competition for professorships, or number of theoretical professorships available each year (or something like that).

Also, as Evo pointed out earlier, there's not much use in looking for a particular well-known physicist's wage since his wage is probably very different to the average, run of the mill physicist.

9. Aug 17, 2007 #8
    [​IMG]

Are you a sock puppet?

10. Aug 17, 2007 #9

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

^

Hee hee hee hee heeeeee! I'm Dying!

11. Aug 17, 2007 #10

Evo

My favorite was coined by a member here "troll sock". The term is MINE now.

12. Aug 17, 2007 #11

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

But that makes it even more puzzling.

1. If all you want to know is the statistics about income as a physicist, then ASK that! What's with the Brian Greee stuff? In the A&CG forum, I've even just put out a link to the AIP website with all the statistics galore relevant to such a question.

2. Even if you know what Brian Green makes, it has no bearing whatsoever on what the typical physics would make. Brian Greene (and the rest of the well-known group of physicists and Nobel Laureates) are the exception, rather than the rule. To use him or any of them as the basis to draw the conclusion on physics job is to skewer reality.

3. If it was that easy to find what Brian Greene makes, then why did you ask this question here in the first place?

Zz.

13. Aug 17, 2007 #12

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Most people don't go into physics for money and those that do have a nasty surprise and rarely survive.

14. Aug 17, 2007 #13

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

He read a book from Brian Greene. Now dreams of doing his own theory yet knows very little physics so who wants to know how much he makes before wasting time learning it.

Probably reading another book by Stephen Hawking so he can continue to "work" on his theory.

Boring.

15. Aug 17, 2007 #14

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

One thing is most likely certain:
    If you DO go into physics, the overwhelming odds is for you never, ever getting an income approaching Brian Greene's.

You might try figuring out why..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?