1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Brick thrown from building

1. Oct 13, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A brick is thrown upward from the top of a building at an angle of 23.8 degrees above the horizontal and with an initial speed of a 14.2 m/s. Acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s/s. If the brick is in flight for 3.3 s how tall is the building?

2. Relevant equations
    d=vi*t+1/2*a*t^2, trigonometry (sin=opp/hyp cos=adj/hyp)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I used trig to get my vertical and horizontal vf and vi(horizontal 12.99 & 12.99, vertical 5.73 & -5.73) Then i plugged in these and my time into the kinematic equation. d=5.73*3.3+-4.9+3.3^2. My d in this answer would be the height of the building I thought, but the online assignment says its incorrect. I believe the vertical displacement would be the height of the building and i solved it to be 24.899.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2014 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Check your kinematic equation again ...you wrote it down incorrectly. Your approach is ok, but the final velocities when the brick hits the ground are incorrect, but not needed here.

4. Oct 13, 2014 #3
    Thanks, so am I correct that the vertical displacement would give me the height of the building?

5. Oct 13, 2014 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted