Bridge Rectifier Circuit Operation and Output Waveform Explanation

In summary: That's what I thought. Since you correctly show how you got the result, if it's clear where you are measuring VL then you can't be wrong.
STEMucator
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

The output of the transformer is a sinusoidal AC signal with ##10.6V## RMS amplitude, and acts as an input to the bridge rectifier.

Explain the operation of the following bridge rectifier circuit.

Then sketch the output waveform ##V_L## assuming the ##0.7V## drop model for the silicon diodes.

Screen Shot 2015-02-18 at 11.41.58 AM.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I want to make sure I understand the operation of this circuit correctly.

The output of the the transformer acts as the input to the bridge rectifier circuit, call the input ##v_s##. The input will have a maximum amplitude given by ##V_p = (10.6 V)\sqrt{2} = 15 V##.

During the positive half cycles of the input voltage, ##v_s## is positive, and current is conducted through ##D_1, D_L, R_L## and ##D_4##. The diodes ##D_2## and ##D_3## are reversed biased during this time. The output voltage ##V_L## will be lower than ##v_s## by two ##0.7V## diode drops and a ##1.5V## LED drop (I've been told to assume LEDs have a 1.5 V drop). So the maximum amplitude of ##V_L## would be ##12.1 V##.

During the negative half cycles of the input voltage, ##v_s## is negative, so ##-v_s## is positive. Current will be conducted through ##D_2, D_L, R_L## and ##D_3##. The diodes ##D_1## and ##D_4## are reversed biased during this time. The output voltage ##V_L## will be lower than ##v_s## by two ##0.7V## diode drops and a ##1.5V## LED drop. So the maximum amplitude of ##V_L## would be ##12.1 V##.

Does this sound okay? Thank you for your help in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Zondrina said:
Does this sound okay?
Yes.

Likes STEMucator and psparky
Your logic sounds fine except for the LED drop. It may be I am misreading your diagram, but VL seems to include the LED and the RL because the arrows point to the top and bottom conductors and the + and - signs are placed at those points, not at the top and bottom of RL.
Either way, you have the correct understanding.

Likes NascentOxygen
Merlin3189 said:
Your logic sounds fine except for the LED drop. It may be I am misreading your diagram, but VL seems to include the LED and the RL because the arrows point to the top and bottom conductors and the + and - signs are placed at those points, not at the top and bottom of RL.
Either way, you have the correct understanding.

So the max amplitude of ##V_L## should actually be lower by just the two diode drops, i.e 13.6 V.

Last edited:
That's what I thought.
Since you correctly show how you got the result, if it's clear where you are measuring VL then you can't be wrong.

1. What is a bridge rectifier circuit?

A bridge rectifier circuit is an electrical circuit that converts alternating current (AC) to direct current (DC). It consists of four diodes arranged in a specific configuration to allow current to flow in only one direction.

2. How does a bridge rectifier work?

During the positive half cycle of AC, two diodes conduct and allow current to flow in one direction, while the other two diodes are reverse biased and do not conduct. During the negative half cycle, the roles of the diodes switch, resulting in a DC output.

3. Why is a bridge rectifier circuit better than a single diode rectifier circuit?

A bridge rectifier circuit is more efficient and produces a smoother output compared to a single diode rectifier circuit. This is because it utilizes all four diodes to convert AC to DC, resulting in a higher output voltage and less ripple.

4. What are the advantages of using a bridge rectifier circuit?

Some of the advantages of using a bridge rectifier circuit include its simplicity, low cost, and high efficiency. It also has a compact design and can handle high currents and voltages, making it suitable for a variety of applications.

5. What are some common applications of bridge rectifier circuits?

Bridge rectifier circuits are commonly used in power supplies, battery chargers, and electronic devices that require DC power. They are also used in motor control circuits, audio amplifiers, and LED lighting systems.