1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bridge Rectifier Circuit

1. Feb 18, 2015 #1

Zondrina

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The output of the transformer is a sinusoidal AC signal with ##10.6V## RMS amplitude, and acts as an input to the bridge rectifier.

Explain the operation of the following bridge rectifier circuit.

Then sketch the output waveform ##V_L## assuming the ##0.7V## drop model for the silicon diodes.

Screen Shot 2015-02-18 at 11.41.58 AM.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I want to make sure I understand the operation of this circuit correctly.

The output of the the transformer acts as the input to the bridge rectifier circuit, call the input ##v_s##. The input will have a maximum amplitude given by ##V_p = (10.6 V)\sqrt{2} = 15 V##.

During the positive half cycles of the input voltage, ##v_s## is positive, and current is conducted through ##D_1, D_L, R_L## and ##D_4##. The diodes ##D_2## and ##D_3## are reversed biased during this time. The output voltage ##V_L## will be lower than ##v_s## by two ##0.7V## diode drops and a ##1.5V## LED drop (I've been told to assume LEDs have a 1.5 V drop). So the maximum amplitude of ##V_L## would be ##12.1 V##.

During the negative half cycles of the input voltage, ##v_s## is negative, so ##-v_s## is positive. Current will be conducted through ##D_2, D_L, R_L## and ##D_3##. The diodes ##D_1## and ##D_4## are reversed biased during this time. The output voltage ##V_L## will be lower than ##v_s## by two ##0.7V## diode drops and a ##1.5V## LED drop. So the maximum amplitude of ##V_L## would be ##12.1 V##.

Does this sound okay? Thank you for your help in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2015 #2

Svein

Science Advisor

Yes.

4. Feb 19, 2015 #3

Merlin3189

Gold Member

Your logic sounds fine except for the LED drop. It may be I am misreading your diagram, but VL seems to include the LED and the RL because the arrows point to the top and bottom conductors and the + and - signs are placed at those points, not at the top and bottom of RL.
    Either way, you have the correct understanding.

5. Feb 19, 2015 #4

Zondrina

Homework Helper

So the max amplitude of ##V_L## should actually be lower by just the two diode drops, i.e 13.6 V.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  6. Feb 20, 2015 #5

Merlin3189

Gold Member

That's what I thought.
    Since you correctly show how you got the result, if it's clear where you are measuring VL then you can't be wrong.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted