Brightness of ISS in Earth's shadow

In summary: There are two likely sources of illumination: Sun light shining on the ISS and cabin lights in the ISS. The brightness of the ISS decreases as it moves closer to the horizon because you are observing it from a greater distance.
Count Iblis
I observed the ISS when it was almost overhead and well inside Earth's shadow with binoculars. The brightness was perhaps magnitude 8 or so, I'm not sure. I observed the ISS enter the Earth's shadow when it was at 60 degrees over the horizon, the brightness declined rapidly as it entered the half shadow. But it remained visible as it passed overhead and moved toward the horizon in the East. The brightness gradually declined until I couldn't see it anymore; it didn't seem that there was ever an abrupt change in brightness after it had entered the shadow.

So, how bright is the ISS when it is overhead in the Earth's shadow?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I think you lost a minus sign. Venus can be as bright as -4.4. From my observations the ISS is at least that bright. I would guess that it is somewhere between -3 and -5, but that is just a SWAG.

Integral said:
I think you lost a minus sign. Venus can be as bright as -4.4. From my observations the ISS is at least that bright. I would guess that it is somewhere between -3 and -5, but that is just a SWAG.

Yes, but that's when the Sun is shining on the ISS. Then it can be very bright. In this case it was a little less bight (about magnitude -2.5 I think) because it entered the shadow at 60 degrees.

But when the ISS is in the shadow, then it cannot be seen with the naked eye. I still saw it with bnoculars and would estimate the brightness to be plus 8, so very dim but still visible. The brightness then furhter declined as the ISS was moving toward the horizon until I couldn't see it anymore.

Oh, my bad! I now understand what you are saying. Since the ISS is not a source of light it must be reflecting light from somewhere. I would guess the amount of light it receives depends on the portion of the lit surface of the Earth it sees. So its apparent magnitude will change as it orbits the earth.

Of course as its magnitude will decrease as it approaches the horizon since you are observing it though a increasing thickness of atmosphere.

You are also observing it through an increased distance. At 30 degrees elevation, it is about twice as far away as when it is directly overhead (lower than that and the geometry gets harder because you have to take into account the curvature of the earth).

As for the source of the illumination, I can think of only two possibilities: lights from Earth and cabin lights in the ISS. I would have no idea the strength of either. Right now, the moon is new, so it wouldn't have been contributing.

1. What causes the brightness of the ISS to change when it enters Earth's shadow?

The brightness of the ISS changes when it enters Earth's shadow due to the absence of direct sunlight. The ISS is powered by solar panels and relies on the sun for its energy. When it enters Earth's shadow, the solar panels are no longer receiving sunlight, causing the ISS to appear dimmer.

2. How bright is the ISS in Earth's shadow compared to when it is in direct sunlight?

The ISS is significantly dimmer when it is in Earth's shadow compared to when it is in direct sunlight. In direct sunlight, the ISS can appear as bright as Venus in the night sky. However, in Earth's shadow, it can appear as dim as a faint star.

3. Is the brightness of the ISS in Earth's shadow affected by the moon?

Yes, the brightness of the ISS in Earth's shadow can be affected by the moon. The moon reflects sunlight and can illuminate Earth's shadow, making the ISS appear brighter than it would be if the moon were not present.

4. Can the brightness of the ISS in Earth's shadow be used to determine its altitude?

No, the brightness of the ISS in Earth's shadow is not a reliable indicator of its altitude. The brightness can vary due to factors such as the angle of the sun, the position of the moon, and the presence of clouds in Earth's shadow. Altitude is determined by other factors such as the ISS's orbit and position in relation to Earth.

5. Why does the ISS sometimes appear brighter in Earth's shadow than at other times?

The brightness of the ISS in Earth's shadow can vary due to different factors. The angle of the sun, the position of the moon, and the presence of clouds can all affect the amount of light that reaches the ISS when it is in Earth's shadow. Additionally, the ISS may also be at a different point in its orbit, causing it to appear brighter or dimmer in Earth's shadow.