Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Brillouin zone of graphene

Tags:
  1. Apr 26, 2012 #1
    The Brillouin Zone (BZ) of both graphene and the (111) surface of metals like Ag(111) eihibit a hexagon, but I wonder why the BZ of graphene has two inequivalent ponits K and K', while the K point of BZ of the Ag(111) is equivalent.
    Thank you in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2012 #2

DrDu

Science Advisor

In case of Graphite, a primitive elementary cell will contain 2 carbon atoms, while the Ag layer will contain only one. If I remember correctly, the reciprocal and direct lattice are identical in these two cases, so the Brillouin zone also has two K points in case of C and only one in case of Ag.

4. Apr 26, 2012 #3
    Thank you, but I remember the BZ of both graphene and Ag(111) is a hexagon, identical to the honeycomb lattice of graphene in real space, while the lattice of Ag(111) in real space is the close packed structure. I want to know is the correlation of lattice in real space and the BZ, or does the inequivalence of K and K' of graphen originate from the two inequivalent sublattices?

5. Apr 26, 2012 #4

DrDu

Science Advisor

Yes, the BZ have the same shape. However, the symmetry groups acting on it are different as Graphene and Ag have different space groups, the group of Graphene being a sub group of the one of Ag. This is due to the lower symmetry of the elementary cell of Graphene as compared to Ag.
    I can only make a guess on how to proceed:
    Find the little group of the k vector belonging to the K point. Probably it is identical for Graphene and Ag. Then by the orbit stabilizer theorem, the set of equivalent K vectors has to be smaller for Graphene than for Ag.

6. Apr 27, 2012 #5

DrDu

Science Advisor

I pondered about this problem further and realized that Graphene and Ag(111) have the same (wallpaper) symmetry group. Hence, group theoretically I would expect also the K points to transform alike. While the adjacent K points cannot be mapped upon using only translations by lattice vectors, they can be mapped upon using mirror symmetry of the lattice, so on symmetry grounds, I would consider all K points equivalent, whether in Graphene or Ag.
    So in what sense do you expect do you expect the points K to be (in)equivalent in Graphene/Ag?

7. Apr 27, 2012 #6
    Thank you! I think that what you said is right. Considering only the group theory, all K points are equivalent, whether in graphene or Ag(111). The inequivalence of K and K' in graphene might have its electronic origin. The problem I encountered is a √3 honeycomb reconstruction (structural reconstruction) of graphene, and I want to know how many inequivalent points in the BZ. So I consider first the origin of the inequivalence of the K points of graphene.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook