Bringing a date to a wedding?

• Thread starter Topher925
  • Start date
Bringing a date to a wedding???

Is there anything wrong with not bringing a date to wedding? I don't think there is but a lot of people seem to make a big deal about it like its some pathetic act. I recently attended a wedding, did not bring a date, and some people looked upon me with shock and pity. Yes, I'm single, and am getting a PhD, and don't really have time to date. What is the big deal?

I've got at least two more weddings I have to go to before September, which unfortunately are for family members, and everyone on both sides of my family are already relentlessly asking me if I have a date lined up for them. What the hell? What if I don't want to bring a date? What if I'm going to be bored out of my mind and want to pass the time by hitting on brides maids. What is wrong with that? Maybe I should just fake being ill, skip them, and go to a bar instead.

Answers and Replies

turbo
Gold Member

Never bring a date to a wedding if you are a young single man!!!! It's like taking a ham sandwich to an all-you-can-eat buffet! Dance with the bridesmaids and chat them up. Take names and numbers. Just sayin'

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Is there anything wrong with not bringing a date to wedding? I don't think there is but a lot of people seem to make a big deal about it like its some pathetic act. I recently attended a wedding, did not bring a date, and some people looked upon me with shock and pity. Yes, I'm single, and am getting a PhD, and don't really have time to date. What is the big deal?

I've got at least two more weddings I have to go to before September, which unfortunately are for family members, and everyone on both sides of my family are already relentlessly asking me if I have a date lined up for them. What the hell? What if I don't want to bring a date? What if I'm going to be bored out of my mind and want to pass the time by hitting on brides maids. What is wrong with that? Maybe I should just fake being ill, skip them, and go to a bar instead.
They're all just jealous :devil:. No, there's nothing wrong with going to a wedding without a date.

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Never bring a date to a wedding if you are a young single man!!!! It's like taking a ham sandwich to an all-you-can-eat buffet! Dance with the bridesmaids and chat them up. Take names and numbers. Just sayin'
Exactly! And as was said on the TV Show "How I Met Your Mother", bringing a date to a wedding is like bringing a deer carcass on a hunting trip. :biggrin:

turbo
Gold Member

Exactly! And as was said on the TV Show "How I Met Your Mother", bringing a date to a wedding is like bringing a deer carcass on a hunting trip. :biggrin:
My heroine!!

Never bring a date to a wedding if you are a young single man!!!
My thoughts precisely! An event where there's girls feeling depressed/frustrated/anxious about getting married is a perfect place to get phone numbers. Bringing a date there would be like committing suicide. Unfortunately these weddings are all for family members and not friends of mine so I cant be going around playing wedding crasher and need to be on good behavior. Or, I can just wait until everyone is drunk and won't remember me doing things like hitting on their sister/cousin/friend/daughter.

What are they expecting to happen when the garter and bridal bouquet are thrown? This is the strangest attitude I've heard in a wedding.

Evo
Mentor

Stag or drag, eh? Definitely Stag.

turbo
Gold Member

Stag or drag, eh? Definitely Stag.
As a single male you have bridesmaids, hopefuls, sisters, cousins, etc that are all ready to glom onto you if you appear to be a "catch". Go stag!!!

ellie6723

any girl that you bring to a wedding - unless it is absolutely understood by both parties - will think you are interested in her romantically. better to go stag and snag a bridesmaid... it is like taking candy from a baby:)

Borek
Mentor

Groom should never bring a date to his wedding.

Oops, sorry. I may have misread the situation.

BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Groom should never bring a date to his wedding.

Oops, sorry. I may have misread the situation.
Yeah, I imagine marrying someone else in the middle of your date would land you a spot on the World's Worst Date list. :rofl:

Definitely go stag!