Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

'Brinicle' ice finger of death

1. Nov 23, 2011 #1

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Amazing footage by BBC Nature, I had to share:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2011 #2

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

This absolutely brilliant documentary series (Frozen Planet) is on tonight at 9 on BBC 1. Well worth a watch!

4. Nov 23, 2011 #3

turbo

Gold Member

I love David Attenborough's voice!!! I bought the BBC version of Planet Earth just because he narrated it - not the US Susan Sarandon version.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  5. Nov 24, 2011 #4

turbo

Gold Member

We have "Planet Earth" queued up for the holiday so we can revisit this classic over a period of days and avoid the tripe that the networks are selling as "classics".

I'm no business-entertainment guru, but I'll be willing to bet that if a cable channel would loop Planet Earth continuously, parents would set their cable channel permissions accordingly. Their children would at least be a bit better educated.

Perhaps I'm a bit optimistic regarding the motivations of the parents....

6. Nov 24, 2011 #5

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

whoa...

7. Nov 24, 2011 #6
    Can someone explain the physics involved here? I can understand seawater being liquid at say -3 C, and fresh water would freeze at this temperature, although not as fast as it appears to here. Why would fresh water sink in seawater? Fresh water has a maximum density at +4 C and becomes less dense at lower temperatures. That's why ice forms on the surface and floats.

EDIT: OK. I missed the first sentence the first time I saw this. This is a stream of liquid brine at a lower temperature than the seawater. Because of its high salinity the brine "finger" remains liquid, but the less saline seawater has a higher freezing point and freezes around the liquid column as the heavy brine descends. Fascinating.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook