Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Brita your alcohol

1. Nov 18, 2004 #1

ShawnD

Science Advisor

Lately there seems to be a lot of attention on using a Brita filter to purify hard booze in order to make it taste better. I just have to say that it works better than you can ever imagine. I ran some crappy tequila through the filter a few times, and the horrible taste is completely gone. Purified tequila just tastes like water with a really strong bite to it.

<-------- enjoying a great tasting ceasar that's 50% tequila :biggrin:

Just posting it here because we all know that deep down all students are hard core alcoholics. :wink:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2004 #2
    good tip, cheers mate.

4. Nov 18, 2004 #3
    I don't know what's more interesting; this actually working or you finding out that it works.

5. Nov 18, 2004 #4

Haha, seriously though, how does one go about finding something like this out?

I would never think of Brita-ing my alchohol. Even though i have none. :mad:

6. Nov 18, 2004 #5
    This might make cheap grocery store brand vodka drinkable!!! I'm all over this.

7. Nov 18, 2004 #6

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

what a grand idea!! only for the cheap stuff of course...

8. Nov 18, 2004 #7
    I could go for a beer or ten right about now. But I can't afford it. :frown: Oh well...

9. Nov 18, 2004 #8
    who woulda thought of grounding up disgusting cocao seeds to make chocolate? We owe our world to stupid ideas.

10. Nov 18, 2004 #9

Or the aguave cactus into tequila?

Tree sap into erasers, bottoms of shoes and condoms?

Large plants into furniture?

Semi conducting metalloids into computers?

Giant balloons with housing tied on for transportation?

Crude oil into high impact plastic?

The list goes on...

11. Nov 19, 2004 #10
    my point exactly. so there really is no such thing as a 'foolish' idea.

12. Nov 19, 2004 #11

matthyaouw

Gold Member

I disagree entirely! Take note:
    "Let's microwave a ball of tinfoil for the entertainment value!"
    "Oh my god a grease fire, best get a bucket of water"
    "what do you suppose would happen if i were to stand behind this horse and kick it in the testicles?"
    "I bet you £10 I can eat this rock."

The list could go on...

13. Nov 19, 2004 #12
    ShawnD, that is genius! I can save so much money on alcohol now.
    Thanks for the tip.

14. Nov 19, 2004 #13

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How much's a Brita unit cost anyway ?

15. Nov 19, 2004 #14

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Each and every one of those provides valuable contributions to human knowledge.

"Let's microwave a ball of tinfoil for the entertainment value!"
    - "Wow, that gives me an idea for a great new use for braces! I'll fill my mouth with popcorn seeds and stick my head in the microwave."

"Oh my god a grease fire, best get a bucket of water"
    - "Cool! Now my girlfriend will never notice that spot where I welded the plastic bottle to the carpet."

"what do you suppose would happen if i were to stand behind this horse and kick it in the testicles?"
    - "What a great new method of birth control! Horses and humans at the same time, no less."

"I bet you £10 I can eat this rock."
    - "Paper beats rock every time!"

16. Nov 19, 2004 #15

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That thread was so absolutely awesome. Props to tribdog for being the only person to ever do that.

17. Nov 19, 2004 #16

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

but does it result in any reduction of the hangover you get from drinking cheap booze?

18. Nov 19, 2004 #17

ShawnD

Science Advisor

I can debunk most of those.

-Microwaving metallic foil does not damage the microwave or create any sort of safety hazard. A microwave and some tin foil can be the easiest way to safely entertain small children.
    -It depends on the situation. If the grease is contained inside of something, adding water will cool it down and make it burn slower. If you add enough water, it might even put out the fire.
    -Kicking a horse is just stupid :tongue:
    -Eating limestone (aka: rock) will fix heartburn.

Goku, you can get a Brita for maybe $30. I'm not sure what the replacement filters cost.

Math Is Hard, I'm not sure about the hangover situation since I've never had one of those. What I can tell you is that purified alcohol doesn't give that light headed feeling that cheap booze does. It's sort of like what one of my teachers said "it's not the alcohol in beer that gets you drunk; it's all the other crap".

19. Nov 19, 2004 #18

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Wow, that's what I always said about 'Harry Buffaloes'. It's not the four bottles of grain alcohol, it's all that damn wine you keep pouring in. Now, we'll have to add another bottle of grain alcohol!

20. Nov 19, 2004 #19

ShawnD

Science Advisor

While we're somewhat on topic, does anybody know why beer gets people drunk so much faster than hard liquor when drinking the same quantities of alcohol? I can drink 7 highballs (1 ounce of hard booze each) and be pretty ok. I can't drive after that much, but I'm still fairly composed. If I drink 3 beers, I'm totally incoherent.

21. Nov 19, 2004 #20
    Doesn't kaolin clay do that?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?