Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

British Physics Olympiads - intellectual masochism for the scientifically oriented

1. Nov 4, 2005 #1
    Has anybody here done one of these? I just did the paper 2 and I feel like my brain's going to dribble out of my nose.

ok, so the questions weren't quite that hard, but it was still evil (still, considering a gold is something like 50% - 60% so I don't suppose I did badly compared to everybody else).

Just some guy
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2005 #2
    i'm thinking of trying to get in the college team next year, can you give me an example of a real question if you can remember? cos i can't find anything on the internet :yuck:
  4. Nov 4, 2005 #3
    Well you probably aren't looking very hard because they're on the British Physics Olympiad's home page :tongue2: http://www.le.ac.uk/physics/BPhO/support.html they have a couple of past paper 2's along with the answers.
  5. Nov 4, 2005 #4
    ...Wha??? :confused: That is quite the odd question. I'm reading over it and it still doesn't make sense to me. It reminds me of something I would make up, but to find it in an actual competition? I'd be bursting out laughing rather than being able to calm my nerves down to actually solve it.
  6. Nov 4, 2005 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

*adjusts motai's joke detector* Okay, that should do it...better now? :biggrin:
  7. Nov 9, 2005 #6
    What were the questions like on it? Can you remember any? Is there one in france also?
  8. Nov 9, 2005 #7

No really that problem is so bad, its jsut not even funny.

I assume they want you to come up with a formula for the angular momentum base d on that? If they expect you to answer in terms like the question however, well screw that. i've got better things to do.
  9. Nov 9, 2005 #8
    wow, franznietzsche, I didn't even read the problem, I wasn't even online, I wasn't even awake, but I knew it was a joke.
  10. Nov 9, 2005 #9

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Dumbasses. I did a few of the maths ones of these back in school. Strangely, I started off getting gold awards, then as I got older (and supposedly more educated) I started getting silvers, then bronzes. By the time I was in 6th form I didn't even bother!
  11. Nov 9, 2005 #10
    peaked when you 10 huh, I can see that.
  12. Nov 9, 2005 #11
    my god, even if you didn't find it funny I would have thought people would realise it was an attempt at a joke. Besides, Sidcup is in Britain and Bejing is in China so unless your left sock is some sort of menger sponge the mongoose isn't going to have anything like the velocity required to get to Bejing.

...oh, and lesser spotted mongooses don't exist, but I guess that's a minor aside :rolleyes:
  13. Nov 9, 2005 #12
    let's just say I'm really slow today and leave it at that.
  14. Nov 9, 2005 #13
    oh I suppose you think all spotted mongooses are equal. They are individuals too.

edit: that was too just some guy not franz. I always get scared when franz is around and don't want to offend. I think its the zsche, always makes me think gas chambers
  15. Nov 9, 2005 #14
    :cry: :cry:

That hurts.....

Well not really. But i'm sure nietzsche is plenty insulted in his grave.
  16. Nov 9, 2005 #15
    nietzsche's dead? my god when? howd it happen

edit: I hate z's,
  17. Nov 9, 2005 #16
    He died in 1900.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?