Saturday Night: British Sitcoms, My Addiction!

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary, the PBS station I watch has a British sitcom night. I have become addicted to them and my all time favorite is Mulberry. There are other similar shows available in the US on DVD, but my favorite is Keeping Up Appearances. I also love the police series like Frost, Morse, Judge John Deed.
How have no one mentioned the "Yes, minister" series??
That's my favourite. Here's one scene:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I watched "The Young Ones" a few times, but it was just to weird for my taste.
So what is Monty Python then :smile:

The young ones was based on British student life I guess if you haven't lived in the UK and studied there u wouldn't get it...

I thought it was funny as hell

Anttech said:
So what is Monty Python then :smile:

The young ones was based on British student life I guess if you haven't lived in the UK and studied there u wouldn't get it...

I thought it was funny as hell

The League of Gentlemen was excellent. Really wierd, I think the US is not ready for dark absurd comedy though. Not their bag generally.

The circus comes to town.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFwUY0CpkZY&mode=related&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zaw-c_E6aoE&mode=related&search=

You my wife now Dave.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMVrwl9FmII&mode=related&search=

and the film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhvaxUvVK_8&mode=related&search=

Come on guys, I can't believe no one here mentioned Red Dwarf. A janitor, holigram, and an evolved cat on a huge spaceship; how can you go wrong with characters like that?

Ronnin said:
Come on guys, I can't believe no one here mentioned Red Dwarf. A janitor, holigram, and an evolved cat on a huge spaceship; how can you go wrong with characters like that?

When you make the US version. :biggrin:

Evo said:
I haven't seen that one. It reminds me of the one where they're at the golfing resort and she goes through the hedges trying to escape the Major's advances.

I don't have cable now and I LOVE British mysteries. :frown: Perhaps they're on DVD?

Yes, both Keeping up Apearances and Fawlty Towers are available on DVD in the US. (I have both).

No one has mentioned http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/reddwarf/" [Broken], great combo of British comedy and Sci Fi.

My favs:

#1: Little Britain (the most brilliant)
#2: Green Wing
#3: Father Ted
#4: The Young Ones

Me and my buddy watched one today called "Spaced", apparently made by someone responsible for "Shawn of the Dead", and has the same actor. And I got to say we were laughing pretty hard. i recommend it

Last edited:
Here's House singing mystery.:smile:

Not a sit com but it's so good I don't care :smile:

The sit com Jeeves and Wooster.

Father Ted as mentioned.

Black Books is another good one.

Does Wallace and Gromit count? :biggrin:

No my bearded wizard friend, it doesn't. But congratulations, you've got the theme tune stuck in my head and it'll be there for the next week or so.

Grrrrrrrrr.

"some mothers do have em" good old frank spencer.
"porridge" staring one of the two ronnies, can't remember which though.
"bottom" with rik mayal and adrian edmonson, rather crude though.

I know most of these well. Why hasn't Ab Fab been mentioned?

Is no one a fan of Men Behaving Badly? :biggrin:

Ohhhhh yes!

"Mussel mate?"
"No mate, they disagree with me"
"Noooo we dooon't!"

Classic.

I share your taste in television. It's a refreshing change from the repetition of american sitcoms... my favourites?

Blackadder
The Goodies
Yes Prime Minister

If you haven't seen them, hunt them down.

Not a sitcom, but british comedy none the less- has anyone seen Hot Fuzz yet? I havn't laughed so much in ages!

matthyaouw said:
Not a sitcom, but british comedy none the less- has anyone seen Hot Fuzz yet? I havn't laughed so much in ages!

I just watched the trailer looks excellent :smile:

Absolute Power, with Stephen Fry, has been highly recommended to me. I've seen some on youtube and it looks great!

Last edited:
<h2>1. What is the definition of a British sitcom?</h2><p>A British sitcom is a television show that follows a comedic format, typically consisting of a recurring cast of characters in various comedic situations. It is usually set in a domestic or workplace setting and often incorporates satire and social commentary.</p><h2>2. What are some popular British sitcoms?</h2><p>Some popular British sitcoms include "Fawlty Towers," "The Office," "Blackadder," "Only Fools and Horses," and "Absolutely Fabulous."</p><h2>3. What makes British sitcoms unique?</h2><p>British sitcoms are known for their dry and subtle humor, as well as their ability to tackle controversial or sensitive topics in a comedic way. They also often feature a smaller, more intimate cast compared to American sitcoms.</p><h2>4. How did you become addicted to British sitcoms?</h2><p>I have always been a fan of British humor and stumbled upon a British sitcom while browsing through television channels. I found the humor to be refreshing and relatable, and I have been hooked ever since.</p><h2>5. Are there any notable differences between British sitcoms and American sitcoms?</h2><p>Yes, there are some notable differences. British sitcoms tend to have shorter seasons with fewer episodes, and they often have a definitive ending. They also tend to have a more realistic and understated style of comedy compared to the more exaggerated and slapstick humor of American sitcoms.</p>

1. What is the definition of a British sitcom?

A British sitcom is a television show that follows a comedic format, typically consisting of a recurring cast of characters in various comedic situations. It is usually set in a domestic or workplace setting and often incorporates satire and social commentary.

2. What are some popular British sitcoms?

Some popular British sitcoms include "Fawlty Towers," "The Office," "Blackadder," "Only Fools and Horses," and "Absolutely Fabulous."

3. What makes British sitcoms unique?

British sitcoms are known for their dry and subtle humor, as well as their ability to tackle controversial or sensitive topics in a comedic way. They also often feature a smaller, more intimate cast compared to American sitcoms.

4. How did you become addicted to British sitcoms?

I have always been a fan of British humor and stumbled upon a British sitcom while browsing through television channels. I found the humor to be refreshing and relatable, and I have been hooked ever since.

5. Are there any notable differences between British sitcoms and American sitcoms?

Yes, there are some notable differences. British sitcoms tend to have shorter seasons with fewer episodes, and they often have a definitive ending. They also tend to have a more realistic and understated style of comedy compared to the more exaggerated and slapstick humor of American sitcoms.