Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Brits no longer to be considered failures

1. Jul 21, 2005 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Your not a failure, you just haven't succeeded yet

PS, The title is to show the location. Its not meant to be an attack on british people.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2005 #2

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'll let you off the hook with the title of your thread, for now... No energy to slag off USians right now! :tongue:

This stuff gets right on my tits. I don't even see that there will be an argument about this, it'll get laughed right out of whatever legislative board it gets put in front of. A healthy fear of failure is what gave kids like me the motivation to do some ruddy work!

They can't even sing "Baa Baa Black Sheep" in nurseries or schools any more for fear of inciting racial hatred, and teachers must no longer refer to the "blackboard", but "chalkboard" instead. It's political correctness gone mad! :smile:

4. Jul 21, 2005 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Read my PS jerk :P Dont make me slap you!

5. Jul 21, 2005 #4

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hah, sorry, I must have read it with too much, uhh, salt! :smile:

6. Jul 21, 2005 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Yes you did, you were suppose to throw it over your shoulder!

7. Jul 21, 2005 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

"deferred success" :rofl:

"I didn't fail chemistry, my success was just indefinitely deferred"

:rofl: <wipes tears from her eyes>

8. Jul 22, 2005 #7

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

From the O.P.

But this is the way a lot of teachers think. They don't like to view any pupil as hopeless or unteachable. This is a defect of their strength - dedication to teaching - if you will. The problem is when this teacher's rubber-meets-the-road attitude is factored through some bureaucrat's CYA attitude.

9. Jul 22, 2005 #8

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Do they have to call the 'whiteboard' the 'dry-erase board' as well?

10. Jul 22, 2005 #9

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Its the way parents and kids should think too - they need to understand that because you "failed" this test or this class doesn't make you a failure in life. But it isn't correct use of the English language to say "deferred success" unless they are going to retake the test!

11. Jul 22, 2005 #10

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Indeed, shortly after the ban of "blackboard", someone pointed out that it would have been equally discrimanatory not to ban the use of "whiteboard" too. Utter craziness.

While kids can be discouraged by failure, the problem that needs addressing is not the use of the word failure itself, but finding suitable learning methods for the kids in question.

People can see right through these 'softened' names for things; all the 'waste disposal technicians' which I've ever spoken to refer to themselves as 'bin-men'.

12. Aug 2, 2005 #11
    How do you learn from failure if you never encounter it?

But the better question is, how have "progressive" educators come to
    belive that you don't learn from failure?

I think it's their type of thinking that should be deferred indefinitely.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?