Brits no longer to be considered failures

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
In summary, the teachers propose that the word "fail" be replaced with "deferred success" to avoid demoralizing pupils. The problem is that this approach is often done in a bureaucratic way, and fails to take into account the individual pupil.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/britain_failure_dc;_ylt=AlFQr8K9L3L8soQXohS8MmKs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3ODdxdHBhBHNlYwM5NjQ- [Broken]

LONDON (Reuters) - The word "fail" should be banned from use in British classrooms and replaced with the phrase "deferred success" to avoid demoralizing pupils, a group of teachers has proposed.

PS, The title is to show the location. Its not meant to be an attack on british people.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'll let you off the hook with the title of your thread, for now... No energy to slag off USians right now! :tongue:

This stuff gets right on my tits. I don't even see that there will be an argument about this, it'll get laughed right out of whatever legislative board it gets put in front of. A healthy fear of failure is what gave kids like me the motivation to do some ruddy work!

They can't even sing "Baa Baa Black Sheep" in nurseries or schools any more for fear of inciting racial hatred, and teachers must no longer refer to the "blackboard", but "chalkboard" instead. It's political correctness gone mad! :smile:

Read my PS jerk :P Dont make me slap you!

Pengwuino said:
Read my PS jerk :P Dont make me slap you!

Hah, sorry, I must have read it with too much, uhh, salt! :smile:

Yes you did, you were suppose to throw it over your shoulder!

"deferred success" :rofl:

"I didn't fail chemistry, my success was just indefinitely deferred"

:rofl: <wipes tears from her eyes>

From the O.P.
LONDON (Reuters) - The word "fail" should be banned from use in British classrooms and replaced with the phrase "deferred success" to avoid demoralizing pupils, a group of teachers has proposed.

But this is the way a lot of teachers think. They don't like to view any pupil as hopeless or unteachable. This is a defect of their strength - dedication to teaching - if you will. The problem is when this teacher's rubber-meets-the-road attitude is factored through some bureaucrat's CYA attitude.

brewnog said:
They can't even sing "Baa Baa Black Sheep" in nurseries or schools any more for fear of inciting racial hatred, and teachers must no longer refer to the "blackboard", but "chalkboard" instead. It's political correctness gone mad! :smile:

Do they have to call the 'whiteboard' the 'dry-erase board' as well?

selfAdjoint said:
But this is the way a lot of teachers think. They don't like to view any pupil as hopeless or unteachable. This is a defect of their strength - dedication to teaching - if you will. The problem is when this teacher's rubber-meets-the-road attitude is factored through some bureaucrat's CYA attitude.
Its the way parents and kids should think too - they need to understand that because you "failed" this test or this class doesn't make you a failure in life. But it isn't correct use of the English language to say "deferred success" unless they are going to retake the test!

loseyourname said:
Do they have to call the 'whiteboard' the 'dry-erase board' as well?

Indeed, shortly after the ban of "blackboard", someone pointed out that it would have been equally discrimanatory not to ban the use of "whiteboard" too. Utter craziness.

While kids can be discouraged by failure, the problem that needs addressing is not the use of the word failure itself, but finding suitable learning methods for the kids in question.

People can see right through these 'softened' names for things; all the 'waste disposal technicians' which I've ever spoken to refer to themselves as 'bin-men'.

How do you learn from failure if you never encounter it?

But the better question is, how have "progressive" educators come to
belive that you don't learn from failure?

I think it's their type of thinking that should be deferred indefinitely.

1. What does "Brits no longer to be considered failures" mean?

This phrase refers to the stereotype that British people are often perceived as being unsuccessful or incompetent. It suggests that this stereotype may no longer be accurate or relevant.

2. Why are Brits no longer being considered failures?

There are a number of factors that may contribute to this shift in perception. These could include changes in societal attitudes, economic factors, and individual successes and achievements of British people.

3. Is this statement supported by evidence?

There is no single definitive answer to this question, as it ultimately depends on the individual's perspective and experiences. However, there are certainly many examples of successful British individuals and industries, which could suggest that the stereotype is becoming less and less relevant.

4. Are Brits still facing challenges and obstacles in achieving success?

Yes, like any group of people, Brits may still face various challenges and obstacles in their personal and professional lives. However, this does not necessarily mean that they are failures or incapable of achieving success.

5. How can we challenge and change this stereotype?

One way to challenge and change this stereotype is to actively seek out and celebrate the successes and achievements of British individuals and industries. This can help to shift the narrative and challenge negative perceptions. Additionally, promoting diversity and inclusivity can also help to break down stereotypes and create a more accurate and positive representation of British people.