Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Brits release UFO info

  1. Aug 17, 2009 #1
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2009 #2
    Anecdotal evidence from anonymous sources... I'm convinced it's aliens. You?
     
  4. Aug 17, 2009 #3

    Ivan Seeking

    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    The Ministry of Defense is an anonymous source?

    These files have been in the process of declassification for some time now.
     
  5. Aug 17, 2009 #4

    Pengwuino

    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    I'm sure he meant the actual witnesses.

     
  6. Aug 17, 2009 #5

    negitron

    User Avatar
    Science Advisor

    Plus it's FOX news. We all know their stellar reputation for accuracy and unbiased reporting.
     
  7. Aug 17, 2009 #6

    Ivan Seeking

    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    There are many reports contained in every release. Fox is just highlighting one report.

    If you want to read some documented military reports, see the UFO Napster at the top of the S&D page.

    One of the things that causes conspiracy theories is that the names of witnesses in military and intelligence reports are blacked out. While the conspiracy crowd takes this as evidence of a coverup, it is really done to protect people's privacy and the activities in which they were engaged, as well as personal addresses and the like. However, this is not true in all cases, and the names of those involved often come out later anyway.

    For example, a rather notable US Senator Russell, from the 1950s and 1960s, filed a CIA report on two "flying saucers" that he saw take off from an area adjacent to his train, while traveling on a secret trip to the Soviet Union. The secret was his mission. The UFO report itself is public information. Eventually the information all came out, but the original release had many lines blacked out.
     
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  8. Aug 18, 2009 #7
    You clearly didn't actually read the contents of the link before posting, or you would have realized what Pengwuino pointed out.

    I'm convinced that there have been many sightings of unidentified flying objects (unidentified by the person making the sighting), I have never seen any convincing evidence for any extraterrestrial intelligence behind them.
     
  9. Aug 26, 2009 #8
    After reading these posts, I took my puppies outside for their evening stroll. It's a warm clear night and very calm and quiet. While standing there thinking about the posts, I looked up into the sky and said "what's that?" to the puppies. They both stopped and looked up, frozen in their tracks, they saw - well nothing, but I made them look. Good night.
     
  10. Aug 26, 2009 #9

    Ivan Seeking

    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    As I have said, many of the reports, including military reports, include the names of persons or personnel involved. I have talked with a few of the ranking military people myself. [No I don't go to UFO conventions. I call them at home and they have always been willing to talk, but one in particular was quite distressed that I had managed to get his number. :biggrin:] Also, the reports weren't filed annonomously. The ones that are blacked out are only done so to protect people's privacy.

    Not that I'm arguing for or against ET visitations, but how much time have your spent reading government reports? Anyone who tries to trivialize this subject doesn't know what they are talking about. It may not be ET, but it isn't all weather balloons either.

    The important thing for casual readers to understand is that the most serious and avid UFO people will be the first to tell you that 90%-95% of all reports can either be explained, or dimissed for any number of reasons. It is the other 5%-10% that are more difficult to explain, that interest people. With the advent of the internet and all of the nonsense that goes on, the number these days might be more like 1%, imo... maybe even far less than that. When it takes little to no effort to file a report, many more people are probably inclined to file reports frivolously compared to the time when an official report required some effort.
     
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  11. Aug 26, 2009 #10

    Ivan Seeking

    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    Alright now, let's not be gettin all wee-wee'd up. :biggrin:
     
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook




Similar Discussions: Brits release UFO info
  1. Ufo (Replies: 18)

  2. Question for the Brits (Replies: 11)

Loading...