Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Broken links to images

1. Sep 21, 2014 #1

ghwellsjr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you going to fix them?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2014 #2
    Can you show me an example? If people are posting links to broken images, we can't control that.

4. Sep 21, 2014 #3

ghwellsjr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

5. Sep 21, 2014 #4

ghwellsjr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What's interesting is that if you click on the link in the previous post, you won't see the images but if you then click on the Quote button, you will see the images correctly in the reply window.

6. Sep 21, 2014 #5
    I think there is a bug involving the image proxy system and the redirect. You are linking to an attachment using the old URL. This is being redirected to the new URL but the image proxy might be messing it up. I'll have to talk to the devs.

7. Sep 23, 2014 #6

ghwellsjr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In addition to old links that used to work before the new software, I cannot get a new image to work. It appears correctly in the edit window but in the preview window I see a button that says "View attachment 12345". When I click on the button, I get an error message saying, "You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action." I suspect your developers have the permission and so they don't see the problems I am describing.

Here, let me upload and image:

1LYin2Years1.PNG

Right now, while I'm editing this post, I can see the image. But if I click the PREVIEW... button I see a button that says, "View attachment 73532" in place of the image. Now I'm going to POST REPLY and see what happens.

8. Sep 23, 2014 #7

ghwellsjr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, it does display the image correctly, but it shouldn't give me all this confusion during editing of a post. And the original problem persists. Your developers should not be having a challenge to fix this problem. As I said, in a post where the images are broken, I can click on Quote and the images appear correctly.

9. Sep 23, 2014 #8

ghwellsjr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

10. Sep 23, 2014 #9
    I fixed it for you. If you edit the post and switch to bbcode editor you'll see your linking the images to the old attachment URL. You need to reinsert them and the system will use the new attachment URL.

11. Sep 24, 2014 #10

ghwellsjr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This problem persists for all posts. I have uploaded hundreds of diagrams. I cannot edit the posts. Here's one of my first:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/triplet-paradox.644948/page-4#post-4183723

Can you explain to me why the system can't display the images on the above link but if you click on Reply, it can? If the new system is able to link to the old attachment URL in the Reply window, why can't it link to the old attachment URL in the post?

12. Sep 24, 2014 #11

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Looks that the differences between the old system and new system somehow break the way old attachments are displayed, and it is not only a problem with your posts. That means it may require a forum-wide changes - please wait a few days as Greag is working through the 2do list. Be sure we want all these images to display correctly :)

13. Sep 24, 2014 #12

ghwellsjr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks, that's what I wanted to hear.

14. Oct 4, 2014 #13

ghwellsjr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's been 10 days now, how far up on the 2do list has this problem gotten?

Click on this link to see the problem:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/triplet-paradox.644948/page-4#post-4183723

Let me re-iterate, if you click on the above link, you can see the images displayed correctly in the thumbnails at the bottom of the page and if you click on "Reply", the full-size images will be displayed correctly in the edit window. I don't see why this problem is taking so long to get fixed.

15. Oct 4, 2014 #14
    The problem is that we are using SSL, because we are using SSL we have to use a image proxy. At the moment the image proxy will only cache publicly viewable images. Because the images in your posts were added via an image tag using the private attachment url, they are not publicly accessible. I am still trying to work on a reasonable solution.

16. Oct 4, 2014 #15

ghwellsjr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I used PF's upload and image display features. The images are not on some other URL. Did you click on the Replay button after going to the example page I linked to? If the images display correctly in the edit window, why can't they be displayed correctly in the post? It doesn't make any sense to me.

17. Oct 4, 2014 #16
    I am assuming the edit window doesn't engage the image proxy. What doesn't make any sense to you?

18. Oct 4, 2014 #17

ghwellsjr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It doesn't make sense to me that you have two windows that are taking exactly the same source from your database, one of them does not display the image (it puts a big X in place of the image) and the other one does display the image correctly. Why can't your developers look at how the edit window correctly displays the images and do the same thing in the post?

19. Oct 4, 2014 #18
    The purpose of the image proxy is that because we are using SSL, everything loaded on a page within our domain must come from a secure location as well. Most image hosts are not secure. If you load insecure elements to a supposedly secure website you'll receive browser warnings. The image proxy caches the image on our server from which it will now load from. It must come from a publicly accessible location. The attachment system is not public.

The edit window is ajax loaded and not public so there isn't a need to load the image proxy into it. I agree it's confusing, but that is the way it is.

As I said, I am searching for a solution for your case.

20. Oct 4, 2014 #19

ghwellsjr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can understand your explanation if my images were uploaded to an insecure image host, but they are uploaded to PF's image host. Are you saying that your own image host is insecure?

21. Oct 4, 2014 #20
    It's secure, but it's not public

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook