Fixing Broken Sony Vaio 4E1L Notebook

• Thread starter SynapticSelf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Broken
In summary, the conversation revolves around a broken Sony Vaio 4E1L Notebook with a display issue. The person with the broken laptop is seeking advice on how to fix it, including whether the screws to access the screen are hidden under rubber pads and if individual keys can be purchased instead of a whole keyboard. Suggestions are given to try reconnecting or replacing the cable connecting the screen to the video card, but if that doesn't work, the cost of repairing the LCD screen can be expensive. Other possible solutions include finding a broken laptop on eBay with a working backlight or LCD and attempting to do the repairs oneself.
SynapticSelf
"Broken" Sony Notebook

I have a Sony Vaio 4E1L Notebook with a broken display. The screen itself is intact - so I assume it's a problem with the inverter or the backlight. The display is completely out of whack...is there an easy way to tell what the problem is?

I've never worked on a laptop before, but I need the experience. I went to open the screen, but there don't appear to be any screws. It's possible that they're hidden under the four little rubber pads, but I want to be sure before ripping them off, as I may be selling the laptop after repair. Do they just snap it together, and/or glue it with this model?

Stupid add on question: One of the keys is also missing (down arrow). A fitted Sony keyboard is rather expensive - can I get individual keys? Suggested retailers?

Thanks!

Computer science news on Phys.org
I do not have experience with that particular Sony Vaio.

I went to open the screen

You can't open the screen.

Fortunately, these problems are often caused by the cable which connects the screen to the video card, and this cable can be accessed from the bottom of the laptop (where the screws should be quite obvious).

Unfortunately, if the problem is not solved by reconnecting/replacing the cable, there is nothing else you can do. The cost of a replacement screen (if the screen itself is faulty) is minimum 700$, there really is no such thing as repairing an LCD.

One of the keys is also missing (down arrow). A fitted Sony keyboard is rather expensive - can I get individual keys? Suggested retailers?

You should be able to get a suitable replacement for relatively cheap from a local (non-franchise) store that does laptop repairs, even if it is not a perfect match.

You can buy individual keys from ebay for usually $3 to $5 apiece.

As for removing the screen, I know I can with my toshiba laptop (the screws are under the rubber pads). There is usually a manual for how to disassemble a laptop though, search for one online. Common sense is oftentimes not enough to figure it out, as you might have to apply pressure and certain movements to certain locations of the laptop to get it to pop out just right. It can be quite a pain in the ass, to be frank.

It sounds like your problem is either the inverter, as you said, or the back light itself. To see if the LCD screen is still intact, turn the computer on and shine a flash light at the screen. If you see things, but it's really dark, then it's the back light or the cables connecting the back light.

You can oftentimes find broken laptops for sale on ebay, look for one with a working backlight, LCD, or whatever might be your problem. You can do the repairs yourself if you know what you're doing (and save a lot of money compared to a computer shop, which will do the same thing).

1. How do I fix a broken Sony Vaio 4E1L notebook?

The process of fixing a broken Sony Vaio 4E1L notebook can vary depending on the specific issue, but some common solutions include troubleshooting software issues, replacing hardware components, or performing a system restore. It is recommended to seek professional assistance if you are unfamiliar with computer repairs.

2. What are some common problems with the Sony Vaio 4E1L notebook?

Some common problems with the Sony Vaio 4E1L notebook include slow performance, blue screen errors, hardware malfunctions, and software glitches. These issues can often be resolved by updating drivers, performing maintenance tasks, or seeking professional assistance.

3. Can I fix a broken Sony Vaio 4E1L notebook myself?

If you are familiar with computer repairs and have the necessary tools and knowledge, you may be able to fix a broken Sony Vaio 4E1L notebook yourself. However, it is recommended to seek professional assistance to avoid causing further damage to your device.

4. How much does it cost to fix a broken Sony Vaio 4E1L notebook?

The cost of fixing a broken Sony Vaio 4E1L notebook can vary depending on the specific issue and the cost of replacement parts. It is recommended to get a quote from a professional repair service before proceeding with any repairs.

5. Is it worth fixing a broken Sony Vaio 4E1L notebook or should I buy a new one?

This ultimately depends on the severity of the issue and the cost of repairs. If the cost of repairs is significantly lower than the cost of a new notebook, it may be worth fixing. However, if the repairs are too expensive or the device is outdated, it may be more cost-effective to purchase a new notebook.