Fix Broken TV Remote - [SOLVED]

• Thread starter cepheid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Broken
In summary, the TV remote stopped working due to water getting in it. The user suggests trying to fix the issue by splitting the TV remote open and drying the membrane, as well as putting a non-conducting material on the volume button.
cepheid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
[SOLVED] Broken TV Remote?

My TV remote stopped working. Yes, I changed the batteries. Wondering what was going on, and staring at the infrared LED on the front of it, it suddenly occurred to me that my MacBook's built in camera is able to see infrared light (Apple even has a tip that you should point your Apple remote at your laptop's camera to see if it is still working or needs to have its batteries changed).

So I pointed the TV remote at the camera and much to my surprise, the remote's IR LED is active *all the time*, and it's pulsing (at very low frequency...low enough that I can see it). It pulses like that unless if I press a button on the remote, in which case it turns off and stays off as long as I hold the button down.

That seems backwards to me. I thought that the LED was supposed to stay off until a button on the remote control is pressed, at which point a binary signal is sent to the LED and it will emit a (fairly high frequency) pulsed signal of IR that varies depending on what command you are issuing (what button you're pressing).

Does this mean for sure that the electronics in my remote are messed up? (The LED being on when it's not supposed to be would explain why I observed that the TV's volume appear to change by itself shortly before the remote went on the fritz).

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
So, it's on when no buttons are pressed, and off when buttons are pressed.

It's all backwardsed.

Take the batteries out and put them in the other way.

Surely you are joking...?

I have put them in with the polarity specified by the diagram engraved in the plastic.

Also, giving the integrated circuit -Vcc when it is expecting Vcc is not going to help.

I was pretty sure you were joking. I was just thinking out loud.

The "buttons" in the remote are likely played out and one of them is engaged all the time, overriding the other functions. Go get a $5 generic replacement and life will be good.

Yeah, in that case it's the volume lowering button (consistent with all my observations). Damn. Yeah, I thought buying a replacement was going to be a problem, because none of the ones I saw in the dollar store today seemed to support my TV brand. But the website of the TV manufacturer has a list of codes for this model of TV and which common brands of universal remote they'll work with.

cepheid said:
Surely you are joking...?
Too deadpan? :wink:

It may have got some water in it.
Split it open and dry membrane particularly on the volume button that should cure it.
Also you could put a non conducting material on that button or what ever, then all the other
buttons would work (bar voloume).
Sounds fixable to me. Hard bit is opening the unit.

1. How do I fix a broken TV remote?

There are a few steps you can take to try and fix a broken TV remote. First, check the batteries and make sure they are properly inserted. If that doesn't work, you can try cleaning the battery contacts with a cotton swab and rubbing alcohol. If those steps don't work, you may need to replace the remote or contact the manufacturer for further assistance.

2. Why is my TV remote not working?

There could be a few reasons for a TV remote not working. It could be due to dead batteries, a damaged remote, or an issue with the TV itself. It's important to troubleshoot and eliminate each possibility before determining the exact cause of the issue.

3. Can I fix a TV remote that has been damaged by water?

In some cases, a TV remote that has been damaged by water can be fixed. You can try taking out the batteries and letting the remote dry completely before inserting new batteries. However, if the damage is severe, it may be necessary to replace the remote.

4. How can I prevent my TV remote from breaking in the future?

To prevent your TV remote from breaking in the future, make sure to handle it with care and avoid dropping it or exposing it to water or extreme temperatures. Also, regularly clean the remote and replace the batteries when necessary to keep it functioning properly.

5. Is it better to repair or replace a broken TV remote?

It ultimately depends on the severity of the issue and the cost of repair. In some cases, it may be more cost-effective to simply replace the remote. However, if the issue is minor and can be easily fixed, repairing the remote may be the better option.