Understanding Bronsted Acids and Bases: Classification and Examples

In summary, Amphoteric substances can act as acids or bases depending on the substance they're mixed with.
Lookielook
Anyone clever with bronsted acids and bases?

I'm pretty new in chemistry, but I'm trying to learn.
Right now I'm suppose to classify some species as either bronsted acids or bases, or even both.

For example

1. Water
2. OH-
3. NH4+
4. HCN
5. HBr
6. NH3

Hope someone can help! :redface:
And does this system have "sup" and "sub" functions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Lookielook said:
Anyone clever with bronsted acids and bases?

I'm pretty new in chemistry, but I'm trying to learn.
Right now I'm suppose to classify some species as either bronsted acids or bases, or even both.

For example

1. Water
2. OH-
3. NH4+
4. HCN
5. HBr
6. NH3

Hope someone can help! :redface:

Do you need help classifying them, or do you just want answers? You won't get the latter. Show some work.

Lookielook said:
And does this system have "sup" and "sub" functions?

(1) text [ sub ] down [ /sub ] and [ sup ] up [ /sup ].

E.g. v02

(2) [ tex ] text_{down}^{up} [ /tex ]

E.g. [tex]v_{0}^{2}[/tex]

You can click on the latter to see how someone created it.

Thanks a lot! Well, not looking for answers, looking for help to understand. I know that bronsted acids donate protons, while bronsted bases accept protons. But I don't understand the part where a compound can be both bronsted acid and bronsted base.

The word you're looking for is amphoteric, which is a substance that can act as an acid or a base. Clearly, a substance with no H to donate cannot act as a Bronsted-Lowry acid, just as a substance that does not want/need an H will not act as a Bronsted-Lowry base. Amphoteric substances often have one acidic proton with the capacity for two, such as HSO4- or HCO3-, although this is not always the case (i.e. H2O). Amphoteric substances act based on what they're mixed with. In a strong acid, water will act as a BL base; in a strong base, water will act as a BL acid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronsted-Lowry
http://www.nyu.edu/classes/tuckerman/honors.chem/lectures/lecture_21/node3.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid-base_reaction_theories

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the difference between a Bronsted acid and a Bronsted base?

A Bronsted acid is a substance that donates a proton (H+) in a chemical reaction, while a Bronsted base is a substance that accepts a proton in a chemical reaction. In other words, a Bronsted acid is a proton donor, while a Bronsted base is a proton acceptor.

How do you identify a substance as a Bronsted acid or base?

A substance can be identified as a Bronsted acid if it has a hydrogen atom that is ionizable (can be donated) in a chemical reaction. A substance can be identified as a Bronsted base if it has a lone pair of electrons that can accept a proton in a chemical reaction.

What is the Bronsted-Lowry theory of acids and bases?

The Bronsted-Lowry theory of acids and bases is a definition of acids and bases based on proton transfer. It states that an acid is a proton donor and a base is a proton acceptor. This theory expands upon the Arrhenius theory of acids and bases, which only applies to substances that ionize in water.

Can a substance act as both a Bronsted acid and base?

Yes, a substance can act as both a Bronsted acid and base in different chemical reactions. For example, water can donate a proton to form the hydronium ion (H3O+) and act as a Bronsted acid, but it can also accept a proton to form the hydroxide ion (OH-) and act as a Bronsted base.

How does the strength of a Bronsted acid or base affect its properties?

The strength of a Bronsted acid or base is determined by its ability to donate or accept protons. A stronger acid will donate protons more readily and have a lower pH, while a stronger base will accept protons more readily and have a higher pH. The strength of a Bronsted acid or base can also affect its reactivity and the types of reactions it can participate in.