Brønsted-Lowry chemical equation

• Chemistry
  • Thread starter Witcher
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemical
In summary, a Brønsted-Lowry chemical equation is a type of chemical equation that shows the transfer of protons between an acid and a base. It is different from other types of chemical equations because it specifically focuses on proton transfer and does not involve the transfer of electrons or the formation of a solid precipitate. A strong acid or base in a Brønsted-Lowry chemical equation is one that completely dissociates in water, and the strength of an acid or base can be determined by the direction of the reaction.
Witcher
Homework Statement
I have a question that is more about why and less about how. If i am posting in the wrong section for my question i apologize ahead of time and ask that you direct me to the correct forum.
Relevant Equations
HCO3-(aq) + H2O(l) -> H2CO3(aq) + OH (aq)
<-
My question for Bronsted Lowry chemical equation is about the donating and accepting electrons. In the bottom chemical equation, the acid is a proton donor. How can hydrogen donate a proton when it has only 1? Or is the subscript the proton in chemical equations
image.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Witcher said:
...Or is the subscript the proton in chemical equations...
No, the proton is the proton in chemical equations.

In your example, water is the proton donor. Proton cannot be the proton donor, as you have surmised.

Likes Witcher

1. What is a Brønsted-Lowry chemical equation?

A Brønsted-Lowry chemical equation is a representation of an acid-base reaction, where an acid donates a proton (H+) to a base, forming a conjugate base and a conjugate acid.

2. How is a Brønsted-Lowry chemical equation different from other types of chemical equations?

A Brønsted-Lowry chemical equation specifically focuses on acid-base reactions, while other types of chemical equations may involve different types of reactions such as redox or precipitation.

3. What is the significance of the Brønsted-Lowry theory?

The Brønsted-Lowry theory provided a new understanding of acid-base reactions, shifting the focus from substances to their behavior in reactions. It also introduced the concept of conjugate acids and bases, which is important in understanding the strength and reactivity of acids and bases.

4. How do you identify the acid and base in a Brønsted-Lowry chemical equation?

The acid is the substance that donates a proton, and the base is the substance that accepts a proton. In a Brønsted-Lowry equation, the acid and base are referred to as the reactants, while the conjugate acid and base are the products.

5. Can a Brønsted-Lowry chemical equation involve more than one acid and base?

Yes, a Brønsted-Lowry chemical equation can involve multiple acids and bases. In this case, the acid and base that are reacting to form a conjugate acid and base will be referred to as the principal acid and principal base, respectively.