Bronsted Lowry Proton Theory [SOLVED]

In summary, the Bronsted Lowry Proton Theory states that an acid is a proton (H+) donor. This is seen in the reaction of HCl + HOH --> HOH + Cl, where HCl donates a proton to act as an acid. The hydrogen ion, which has no electron, is the proton in this case.
MichaelXY
[SOLVED] Bronsted Lowry Proton Theory

Homework Statement

Bronsted Lowry Proton Theory
Acid is a proton H+ donor

Homework Equations

In my book. HCL + HOH ----> HOH + Cl My book says the HCL donates a proton.

The Attempt at a Solution

What I really do not get about this is that Hydrogen atom only has one proton, based on the periodic chart. If hydrogen gives up one proton, then it would seem that the atom would be only a Neutron and not be an atom at all. Ugh, I just don't get it. Am I seeing this all wrong? Is the Hydrogen in fact losing its only proton?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The way I see it,the whole acid molecule is proton donor i.e. H+ donor, so HCl splits up as H+ and Cl-, donates the H+, and hence acts as an acid. So I don't understand what you mean by saying that hydrogen donates a proton.

The hydrogen does not donate a proton; the HCl (hydrochloric acid) donates a proton. The hydrogen ion IS the proton.

Oh I see, the hydrogen is the proton because it has no electron. Ok thanks for the help:)

What is the Bronsted Lowry Proton Theory?

The Bronsted Lowry Proton Theory is a concept in chemistry that explains the role of protons in acid-base reactions. It states that an acid is a substance that donates a proton, while a base is a substance that accepts a proton.

What is a Bronsted acid?

A Bronsted acid is a substance that is capable of donating a proton to another substance. This can include substances such as HCl and H2SO4.

What is a Bronsted base?

A Bronsted base is a substance that is capable of accepting a proton from another substance. This can include substances such as NH3 and CH3COO-.

How is the Bronsted Lowry Proton Theory different from the Arrhenius Theory?

The Bronsted Lowry Proton Theory is a broader concept that includes substances other than water as acids and bases. The Arrhenius Theory only considers substances that produce H+ or OH- ions in water as acids and bases.

What is the importance of the Bronsted Lowry Proton Theory in chemistry?

The Bronsted Lowry Proton Theory allows us to understand and predict the behavior of acids and bases in various reactions. It also helps us to classify substances as acids or bases based on their ability to donate or accept protons.