1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bronsted Lowry Proton Theory

1. Dec 5, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] Bronsted Lowry Proton Theory

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Bronsted Lowry Proton Theory
    Acid is a proton H+ donor

2. Relevant equations

In my book. HCL + HOH ----> HOH + Cl My book says the HCL donates a proton.

3. The attempt at a solution
    What I really do not get about this is that Hydrogen atom only has one proton, based on the periodic chart. If hydrogen gives up one proton, then it would seem that the atom would be only a Neutron and not be an atom at all. Ugh, I just don't get it. Am I seeing this all wrong? Is the Hydrogen in fact losing its only proton?
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2007 #2
    The way I see it,the whole acid molecule is proton donor i.e. H+ donor, so HCl splits up as H+ and Cl-, donates the H+, and hence acts as an acid. So I don't understand what you mean by saying that hydrogen donates a proton.
  4. Dec 6, 2007 #3

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

The hydrogen does not donate a proton; the HCl (hydrochloric acid) donates a proton. The hydrogen ion IS the proton.
  5. Dec 6, 2007 #4
    Oh I see, the hydrogen is the proton because it has no electron. Ok thanks for the help:)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?