1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Brownian Motion question

1. Mar 6, 2012 #1
    I need to show that (Wt)2 is a brownian motion

So let Vt = (Wt)2

I need to first show that Vt+s - Vs ~ N(0,t)

Vt+s - Vs = (Wt+s)2 - (Ws)2 = (Wt+s + Ws)(Wt+s - Ws)

(Wt+s - Ws) ~ N(0,t)

But is (Wt+s + Ws) ~ N(0,t)?

If it is what happens when I multiply two RV's that are normally distributed together? What can I say about the variance of the new distribution?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2012 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are being asked to show something that is FALSE: W_t^2 is not a Brownian motion, unless you are using an unusual definition of Brownian motion. The square of a normal random variable is essentially a chi-squared random variable with parameter 1; that is N(0,1)^2 = Chi^2(1).

RGV

4. Mar 7, 2012 #3
    Hi Ray

Thanks for responding!

Yeah sorry, the question was show if it is or is not a Brownian Motion, for some odd reason I assumed it was because the rest of the examples were

How do I show it is not a brownian motion then, which property of a BM does not hold?
    Thanks

5. Mar 7, 2012 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What properties of BM are you trying to verify or deny? I have seen alternative definitions of BM; which one are you using?

RGV

6. Mar 7, 2012 #5
    These:

2q1updw.png

Also in the question I should note that W is a standard brownian motion

7. Mar 7, 2012 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Does property (i) hold?

RGV

8. Mar 7, 2012 #7
    That's what I was attempting in my original post.

So my brownian motion V is not normally distributed? Not sure how to show that (apart from my earlier attempt)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook