Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Brownian motion question

1. Aug 29, 2014 #1
    I was reading about ferrofluid and I was wondering how you would go about calculating the maximum size of a particle that could be suspended by Brownian motion in a fluid? Can a denser fluid suspend larger particles?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2014 #2
    The response is: kT>mgd, where kT is thermal energy, m the mass of the particle, g is gravity and s is the particle typical size. When thermal energy is smaller sedimentation will occur.

4. Aug 29, 2014 #3
    Cool. How would the mass of the carrier fluid particles be accounted for? It seems mercury would be different than water.

5. Aug 29, 2014 #4
    You actually account for that through viscosity in some way. The carrier fluid as you call it is accountef by a viscosity and a temperature, the system temperature

6. Aug 29, 2014 #5
    These are deep questions people dont ask so there are a lot of reasonable misconceptions.

7. Aug 29, 2014 #6
    Cool thanks for the help

8. Aug 30, 2014 #7

Sorry but what units were you're original equation in, I assumed it was jules> kg* 9.82* surface area in m^2

9. Aug 30, 2014 #8
    g has units of m/s^2, d is in meters and m is in kg. Then you get joules.

10. Aug 30, 2014 #9

Is kT the energy of one carrier fluid atom or the energy of the system?

11. Aug 30, 2014 #10
    kT is the energy associated to one particle. When i say particle you can think on both the solvent molecules or the dispersed particles. The energy of a thermodynamic system it depends on and adittional thermodynamic variable, partiole number N. For example in an ideal gas the energy of the system is ~NkT

12. Aug 30, 2014 #11
    Cool thanks for the help

13. Aug 30, 2014 #12
    No problems. Physics is cool.

14. Aug 31, 2014 #13
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted