1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Brownian motion

1. Aug 27, 2006 #1
    Brownian motion....

Hello ..since it has several application to physics i would like to hear about Brownian motion..in fact i think you can approach it by means of a functional integral of the form:

[tex] \int D[x] e^{-a \int_{a}^{b} L(x,\dot x, t)} [/tex] and that from this you derive the "difussion" process... my question is about the trajectories (it'll sound to you familiar to QM if known)

- What's the PDE equation satisfied by the functional integral above?..

- Can the "Brownian motion" by formulated only in probability terms or are there "classical trajectories" that can be obtained?..i heard (wikipedia) about the equation for Brwonian motion in the form:

[tex] m \ddot x = -\nabla V + \eta (t) [/tex] where the last extra term was some kind of "random" force applied to the particles.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted