1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Brownian Motion

1. Apr 3, 2007 #1
    Hi all, I need help with a question.

Let B(t), t>= 0 be a standard Brownian motion and let u, v, w > 0. Calculate E[B(u) B(u+v) B(u+v+w)], using the fact that for a zero mean normal random variable Z, E[Z^3] = 0.

I tried to do this question by breaking up the brownian motions, i.e. B(u+v) = B(u) + (B(u+v) - B(u)) and B(u+v+w) = B(u) + (B(u+v) - B(u)) + (B(u+v+w) - B(u+v)), and then putting them into the expectation.

I got

E[B(u) B(u+v) B(u+v+w)] = E[ B(u) (B(u) + (B(u+v) - B(u))) (B(u) + (B(u+v) - B(u)) + (B(u+v+w) - B(u+v))) ]

and then expanding the terms, I got

E[B(u)^3] + E[ B(u)^2 (B(u+v) - B(u)) ] + E[ B(u)^2 (B(u+v+w) - B(u+v)) ] +
    E[ B(u)^2 (B(u+v) - B(u)) ] + E[ B(u) (B(u+v) - B(u))^2 ] + E[B(u)] E[B(u+v) - B(u)] E[B(u+v+w) - B(u+v)]
    = 2 E[ B(u)^2 (B(u+v) - B(u)) ] + E[ B(u)^2 (B(u+v+w) - B(u+v)) ] + E[ B(u) (B(u+v) - B(u))^2 ]

since the brownian motions in the last term are independent of one another and E[B(u)] = 0.

Up to here, I'm stuck as I'm not sure how to handle the square terms.

Am I correct up to this point? If I am, how should I continue?

Thank you.

Regards,
    Rayne

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2007 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is there a way to break up B(u+v) into, say, B(u) + B(v) + "other terms" in a meaningful way?

Other than this, can't the square terms be expressed in terms of a distribution parameter, e.g. σ2?

4. Apr 29, 2007 #3
    Break it up step-by-step. First,

[tex]E[B(u)B(u+v)B(u+v+w)]
    = E[B(u)B(u+v)(B(u+v+w) - B(u+v))] + E[B(u)B(u+v)^2].[/tex]

By independence, the first term on the right-hand side is zero. Next,

[tex]E[B(u)B(u+v)^2] = E[B(u)(B(u+v)-B(u)+B(u))^2]
    = E[B(u)(B(u+v)-B(u))^2] + 2E[B(u)^2(B(u+v)-B(u))] + E[B(u)^3][/tex]

Again by independence, the first and second terms are zero.

Another way to get the result is to note that [tex]W(t):=-B(t)[/tex] is also a Brownian motion. So [tex]E[W(u)W(u+v)W(u+v+w)][/tex] should be the same number. But

[tex]E[W(u)W(u+v)W(u+v+w)] = E[(-B(u))(-B(u+v))(-B(u+v+w))]
    = -E[B(u)B(u+v)B(u+v+w)].[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?