Brownian Motion Homework: Computing Probability & Expectation

In summary, the homework equations are as follows:-The attempt to solve the problem is to find P(Z>2).-For b), E(B_{t}-t|B_{s}=c) is the amount of money that the student would earn if they started working at the time of s and continued working until the time of t, and the amount of money that they would lose if they stopped working at the time of t.
theCoker

Homework Statement

Let Bt be a standard Brownian motion. Let s<t:
a) Compute [tex]P(\sigma B_{t}+\mu t|B_{s}=c)[/tex]
b) Compute [tex]E(B_{t}-t|B_{s}=c)[/tex]

Homework Equations

Defition of brownian motion: B(t) is a (one-dim) brownian motion with variance [tex]\sigma^{2}[/tex]if it satisfies the following conditions:
(a) B(0)=0
(b) independent increments
(c) stationary increments
(d) B(t)~normal[tex](0,\sigma^{2}t)[/tex]
(e) [tex]t\rightarrow B_{t}[/tex] is continous

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the policy is the attempt to do the problem, but I don't even know where to start. Maybe the definition of conditional probability?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmmm, is part (a) stated correctly?

Just thoughts here:

given B_s = c, can't you think of the start time as s and starting position as c.

Then isn't B_t - c ~ N(0,t-s), in other words B_t ~ N(c,t-s) ?

Billy Bob said:
Hmmm, is part (a) stated correctly?

assuming you are referring to (a) and not a):

(a) B(0)=0, *a convenient normalization.

sorry about that. thanks for the thoughts. assignment is due now =[

however, i am puzzled by this problem and would appreciate more thoughts.

No I meant a)

a) is stated exactly as my professor posed the question.

It's just weird to me. It's like asking "what is P(Z+2)" instead of a sensible question like "what is P(Z>2)."

For b), can you find [tex]E(B_{t}|B_{s}=c)-E(t|B_{s}=c)[/tex]

From what the Prof. said today (last day of class)... [tex]X_{t}=\sigma B_{t}+\mu t[/tex] where [tex]X_{t}[/tex] is "Brownian motion with drift" and [tex]\mu t[/tex] is the "drift term". It was also said that [tex]X_{t}~Normal(\mu t, \sigma^{2}t)[/tex].

Solution
a) [tex]P(\sigma B_{t}+\mu t=a|B_{s}=c)=P(B_{t}=\frac{a-\mu t}{\sigma}|B_{s}=c)=\frac{P(B_{t}=\frac{a-\mu t}{\sigma},B_{s}=c)}{P(B_{s}=c)}=P(B_{t}-B_{s}=\frac{a-\mu t}{\sigma}-c=f_{t-s}(\frac{a-\mu t}{\sigma}-c)[/tex]

b) [tex]E(B_{t}-t|B_{s}=c)=E(B_{t}-B_{s}+B_{s}|B_{s}=c]-t=E(B_{t}-B_{s}|B_{s}=c)+c-t=c-t[/tex]

For those that were interested.

1. What is Brownian motion?

Brownian motion is the random movement of particles in a fluid due to collisions with other particles. It was first observed by Robert Brown in 1827.

2. How is probability involved in Brownian motion?

Probability plays a crucial role in understanding Brownian motion. The motion of particles is unpredictable and can only be described in terms of probabilities.

3. How do you compute the probability of a particle's movement in Brownian motion?

The probability of a particle's movement in Brownian motion can be computed using mathematical models such as the Wiener process or the Langevin equation.

4. What is the expectation in Brownian motion?

The expectation in Brownian motion refers to the average or expected value of a particle's position over time. It is calculated using the Brownian motion equation and is used to predict the overall behavior of particles in a fluid.

5. How is Brownian motion used in scientific research?

Brownian motion has many applications in scientific research, including studying the behavior of particles in fluids, modeling economic systems, and understanding diffusion processes in biology and chemistry. It is also used in the development of mathematical and statistical models.