Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Browsing while not logged in Forbidden?

1. Sep 23, 2003 #1

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Browsing while not logged in....Forbidden??

Greg,

It seems that one must be logged in just to browse the boards. Starting today, when I go to the main page, instead of seeing the Forums I get a prompt to sign in. Is this deliberate? If so, I think it is going to stop new members from joining, if they can't see what they are going to get.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2003 #2
    Re: Browsing while not logged in....Forbidden??

Testing that theory Tom. It won't be permanent, but I will use it as a tactic. I turned off guest access around 11am and so far we have 23 new members today already, we will definately break the record of new members in a day if that continues.

4. Sep 23, 2003 #3

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Re: Browsing while not logged in....Forbidden??

Well, shut my mouth.

You should probably announce it to the members. Today, Bystander signed up for an account as Sciforums for the sole purpose of sending me PM at that message board to ask me if PF was down LOL.

5. Sep 23, 2003 #4
    Re: Re: Re: Browsing while not logged in....Forbidden??

Then let this be the announcement :smile:

The reason for this sudden experiement is due to the unexpected but pleasant explosion of guests coming to PF. Not that we don't like guests :smile: but, the pure number is clamping down on our bandwidth. So, I thought maybe if we turned off access some would be curious whats behind the closed door and register, thus becoming an attribute to the forums.

6. Sep 23, 2003 #5

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If that's the case how do we have 86 guests currently logged in?

Did you flip the switch back, or am I missing something?

7. Sep 23, 2003 #6
    Yeah I switched back. Also, the forum will still count guests at the login screen.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?