Browsing while not logged in Forbidden?

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Browsing while not logged in....Forbidden??

Greg,

It seems that one must be logged in just to browse the boards. Starting today, when I go to the main page, instead of seeing the Forums I get a prompt to sign in. Is this deliberate? If so, I think it is going to stop new members from joining, if they can't see what they are going to get.

Re: Browsing while not logged in....Forbidden??

Originally posted by Tom
Greg,

It seems that one must be logged in just to browse the boards. Starting today, when I go to the main page, instead of seeing the Forums I get a prompt to sign in. Is this deliberate? If so, I think it is going to stop new members from joining, if they can't see what they are going to get.
Testing that theory Tom. It won't be permanent, but I will use it as a tactic. I turned off guest access around 11am and so far we have 23 new members today already, we will definately break the record of new members in a day if that continues.

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Re: Re: Browsing while not logged in....Forbidden??

Originally posted by Greg Bernhardt
I turned off guest access around 11am and so far we have 23 new members today already, we will definately break the record of new members in a day if that continues.
Well, shut my mouth.

You should probably announce it to the members. Today, Bystander signed up for an account as Sciforums for the sole purpose of sending me PM at that message board to ask me if PF was down LOL.

Re: Re: Re: Browsing while not logged in....Forbidden??

Originally posted by Tom
Well, shut my mouth.

You should probably announce it to the members. Today, Bystander signed up for an account as Sciforums for the sole purpose of sending me PM at that message board to ask me if PF was down LOL.
Then let this be the announcement :smile:

The reason for this sudden experiement is due to the unexpected but pleasant explosion of guests coming to PF. Not that we don't like guests :smile: but, the pure number is clamping down on our bandwidth. So, I thought maybe if we turned off access some would be curious whats behind the closed door and register, thus becoming an attribute to the forums.

enigma

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
If that's the case how do we have 86 guests currently logged in?

Did you flip the switch back, or am I missing something?

Originally posted by enigma
If that's the case how do we have 86 guests currently logged in?

Did you flip the switch back, or am I missing something?
Yeah I switched back. Also, the forum will still count guests at the login screen.