1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Brushing up on ODEs

1. Oct 23, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Sampled Data system
    Using the forward Euler integration algorithm, convert these differential equations to a set of difference equations. Use a stept size of deltaT = 0.1s.

2. Relevant equations
    x1(dot) = x2
    x2(dot) = x3
    x3(dot) = -2x1-3x2-4x3
    y = 7x1-5x2

3. The attempt at a solution
    Nothing relevant! I have scribbled around and played with stuff from wikipedia, mainly with the form yn = yn-1+deltaT*f(tn-1, yn-1), but to no avail. Do I start with:
    dy/dt = 7x1(dot)-5x2(dot) and so on? I end up in a loop as soon as iI get to the derivation of x3. IIt doesn't feel like I am on the right path.

What I am looking for is the starting point (so far). I learned about this stuff in school about 5 years ago, but I haven't touched it ever since. Now I wanted to do some reading on system modeling and I thought I could give a go to the exercises in the book as well. First attempt, first failure. Help!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

With forward euler you shouldn't end up in a loop: you use ##\vec x_n## to calculate ##\dot {\vec x}_n ## which you use to calculate ##\vec x_{n+1}##.

Y is just a calculated variable ##y(t) =y (\vec x(t))##. The differential equation is in ##\vec x##

note: to actually solve, you need initial conditions (so it's funny you should ask where to start :smile: because without them the problem statement is incomplete)

Can't resist:
    Ever tried. Ever failed.
    No matter. Try Again.
    Fail again. Fail better.

Samuel Beckett​

4. Oct 27, 2015 #3
    Haha! yes, "fail better" seems to apply here.

There are no initial conditions. The book asks for a path to the solution, not actually solving the equations. But your post gave me the starting point I was looking for.

The frustration I experience when I look at something that I was able to solve some years ago is infinite. I hope I am not the only one in this situation.

5. Oct 27, 2015 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The better !
    This is a third order system. I don't think many people can solve that offhand; I sure can't. At first I thought I saw a glimpse of the equations for a harmonic oscillator, but that didn't last long.

Frustration is a self-imposed handicap. Unlike most other handicaps, you can throw it off: it doesn't help at all. :smile: And often, once you throw it aside, you find that it wasn't necessary in the first place (you know, like breaking in a door that isn't locked...)

--

6. Oct 28, 2015 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There are two rather different ways to solve a system like this. The simpler (at least the method I learned first) is to differentiate the last equation again:
    [itex]x_3''= -2x_1'- 3x_2'- 4x_3'[/itex]. Replace the derivatives of [itex]x_1[/itex] and [itex]x_2[/itex] from the first two equations: [itex]x_3''= -2x_2- 3x_3- 4x_3'[/itex]. Differentiate again: [itex]x_3'''= -2x_2'- 3x_3'- 4x_3''[/itex] which is the same as the "third order linear differential equation with constant coefficients", [itex]x_3''+ 4x_3''+ 3x_3'+ 2x_3[/itex] which has characteristic equation [itex]r^3+ 4r^2+ 3r+ 2= 0[/itex]

Second, more "sophisticated" method: write this linear system as a matrix equation. We can write
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}x_1' \\ x_2' \\ x_3'\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}0 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 \\ -2 & -3 & -4 \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x_1 \\ x_2\\ x_3\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    Simplify that by finding the eigenvalues and corresponding eigenvectors for that three by three matrix.

7. Oct 28, 2015 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do you remember how you used to do it? I bet you started with the assumptions that ##x_1 = A e^{rt}, x_2 = B e^{rt}, x_3 = C e^{rt}##, then substituted these into the DE's and turned the crank. Let's do that:
    [tex] \begin{array}{ccl} \dot{x_1} = x_2 &\Rightarrow& r A = B \\
    \dot{x_2}= x_3 & \Rightarrow & r B = C \\
    \dot{x_3} = -2x_1-3x_2-4x_3 &\Rightarrow & r C = -2A - 3B - 4C
    \end{array}
    [/tex]
    This implies
    [tex] \pmatrix{r & -1 & 0 \\
    0 & r & -1 \\
    2 & 3 & r+4} \pmatrix{A\\B\\C\\} = \pmatrix{0\\0\\0} [/tex]
    So, you need the determinant of the matrix to = 0 in order to have a non-vanishing solution, and that produces a cubic equation in ##r##, Generally, there will be three roots ##r_1, r_2, r_3##, so you will actually have solutions of the form ##x_1 = A_1 e^{r_1 t} + A_2 e^{r_2 t} + A_3 e^{r_3 t}##, etc.

8. Oct 28, 2015 #7

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Not sure ado is really interested in the actual solution (#1, #3). Could well be a step-up for a numerical solution exercise.
    But still interesting !

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted