1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schools BS and MS from one University?

1. Aug 30, 2007 #1
    I've been told conflicting things by many people in higher places than my own.

Some say its detrimental to get a BS and MS from the same school when looking for a job.
    Others say that it really doesn't matter.

So my question is why would it hurt me to stay/how could it help me to move?

FYI:
    Graduating with BS in Mechanical and Aeronautical Science and Engineering from UCDavis
    Planning for a MS in Mechanical.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2007 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

From my perspective in industry (EE in R&D), it makes no difference. We look at work experience and your knowledge and abilities.

BTW, I got my BSEE from UC Davis (MSEE from a different school, but that was part of a scholarship deal), and go back to Picnic Day just about every year. I'd say stay there for you MS work, as long as you are happy with the research opportunities.

4. Aug 30, 2007 #3
    Sounds like nonsense to me. I know lots of teachers who went to MIT for all of their degrees, BS,MS and PhD.

5. Aug 30, 2007 #4
    Cool, thanks guys.

It real didn't make sense to me either.

I'm extremely happy with the faculty and research going on here.

Picnic day is definetly a blast (less it rains like last year!). Come check out the AMAT table next year!
    http://mae.ucdavis.edu/team/amat/news.html

6. Aug 30, 2007 #5
    Academic inbreeding is more of a concern for academic positions than for industry positions.

7. Aug 30, 2007 #6

berkeman

8. Aug 30, 2007 #7

Astronuc

I have a BS and MS from the same school/dept and had started a PhD. It made not difference professionally. I stayed because that was the only program in the country to offer a very unique experience, and I couldn't pass it up.

9. Aug 30, 2007 #8

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What was the unique experience, Astronuc, if you don't mind me asking?

10. Aug 30, 2007 #9

Astronuc

The combination of aerospace and nuclear engineering in a NASA affiliated program. It was partly sponsored by USRA. The research involved nuclear propulsion and power concepts for spacecraft and power systems for missions to moon and planets, particularly Mars.

In addition, we had experts from overseas visiting the department, and we got to use some unique software - simulation codes - not avaiable at any other university. The first job out of graduate school involved the use of an earlier version of one of those codes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?