1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

BS in Math or BA in Math Ed?

1. May 29, 2012 #1
    Hello, I plan on transferring to a university this fall to finish a bachelor's degree having completed an associate's degree at a community college. I want to eventually get at least a master's degree in mathematics so I can teach at a college. I would like to eventually have a PhD, but I am taking it one step at a time. I am considering completed a Math ed degree so I can teach at a high school while I work on a master's degree. I am afraid, though, that I math ed degree won't prepare me as well for graduate studies as a pure math degree would. If I plan on going to graduate school for math, should I go ahead and just do a pure math degree, or will I be able to make it with a math ed degree?

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I probably don't live in the same country as you, so take my remarks with a grain of salt.

1) Is it possible for you to work during your masters degree?? A masters degree and PhD is really work intensive. Furthermore, you might have to be a teaching assistent and teach undergrad classes. You might not have time to teach in high school.

2) Do you need education classes to be able to teach?? You should find out what the requirements are.

3) Spending your time with education classes has a negative affect as you see less math. This is really not good for a PhD. For one, you need to take a great variety of classes to see what kind of math you even like. Furthermore, a PhD requires quite some knowledge, so taking a lot of classes is always a good idea.

4. May 29, 2012 #3
    Being able to teach while in grad school was a concern of mine. I certainly do not want to overload myself. One of my biggest concerns is finding income to support me once I finish my undergrad degree.

5. May 29, 2012 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Usually, if you do a PhD, then you might get paid for it. It's not a lot, but enough to live of.

6. May 30, 2012 #5
    Some schools will even fund their master's students and give them assistantships.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook