Is a Math Degree Necessary for Graduate Studies in Applied Math?

• Thread starter Goalie33
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematics
In summary, the speaker is an undergraduate student with a double major in Physics and Materials Science and Engineering. They are considering pursuing graduate studies in either Physics, Materials Science, or Applied Mathematics. They have a strong interest in the mathematical foundations and theoretical aspects of their coursework. They are wondering if a mathematics degree is necessary for graduate studies in applied math or if their two degrees are enough. They have been told that graduate programs in applied mathematics often prefer applicants with backgrounds in other sciences. The speaker's lab partner is pursuing a PhD in applied math with a double major in math and mechanical engineering, which the speaker believes is the best approach. However, the lab partner also had to catch up on some math courses.
Goalie33
Hello,
I am an undergraduate entering my third year of study. I am a double major in Physics and Materials Science and Engineering. I am considering graduate work in several areas (Physics, Mat. Sci.). I am also considering pursuing studies in Applied Mathematics. I will have taken 8 mathematics courses and currently have a 4.00 mathematics g.p.a. I always have found myself more interested in, and better at, the mathematical foundations/ theoretical aspects of my coursework in Physics and Mat. Sci. I was wondering of a Mathematics degree is necessary for graduate studies in applied math or if it is possible to do it with my two degrees. I have been told that graduate programs like students with backgrounds in things other than math and I was also wondering if this was true.
Thanks for your time!

Please get back to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
You might want to check the kind of math that's required to do the research you are interested in and take them in your undergraduate if you think you are up for it. A graduate degree in math is not a necessary for graduate studies in applied math if you can show you have the necessary background - usually in analysis, PDEs, linear algebra, etc.

I know that a GRADUATE degree in math is not necessary to pursue graduate studies in applied math; I was wondering about an undergrad degree. Perhaps that was a typo on your part, i was just clarifying. Do you know if it is true that graduate programs in applied mathematics like applicant with academic backgrounds in other sciences?

Sorry I mean undergrad in math is not necessary. I am applying to an applied math program with an engineering degree.

Goalie33 said:
I know that a GRADUATE degree in math is not necessary to pursue graduate studies in applied math; I was wondering about an undergrad degree. Perhaps that was a typo on your part, i was just clarifying. Do you know if it is true that graduate programs in applied mathematics like applicant with academic backgrounds in other sciences?

My lab partner is doing her applied math phd with a double major in math and mechanical engineering. That's probably the best way to go if possible. She was still behind on the math when she started and had to do some catching up, even with a math major, but she's also going to a top school. I'm sure it varies.

1. What is a BS in mathematics necessary for?

A BS in mathematics is necessary for a variety of careers and graduate programs, including fields such as finance, data analysis, engineering, and statistics.

2. Is a BS in mathematics a difficult degree to obtain?

A BS in mathematics can be challenging, as it requires a strong foundation in mathematical concepts and problem-solving skills. However, with dedication and hard work, it is definitely achievable.

3. Are there any specific skills or qualities that are needed for a BS in mathematics?

To succeed in a BS in mathematics, individuals should have a strong interest in and aptitude for math, as well as critical thinking and analytical skills.

4. Can a BS in mathematics lead to a well-paying job?

Yes, a BS in mathematics can lead to well-paying job opportunities in a variety of industries, such as finance, technology, and government.

5. What are the benefits of earning a BS in mathematics?

Earning a BS in mathematics can open up many career opportunities, as well as provide a strong foundation for graduate studies in fields such as mathematics, statistics, and computer science. It also develops critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are valuable in many industries.