BS MechEng Senior: MS vs Job Search - Advice?

• Thread starter othic
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the dilemma of a senior in mechanical engineering who is considering pursuing a Master of Science (MS) degree immediately after graduation or later on in their career. They are unsure if an MS degree is worth the extra time and money, and if it is better to do it right after their undergraduate degree. The conversation also considers the benefits of an MS degree, such as potential for higher pay and opportunities for leadership roles, but also acknowledges the importance of gaining industry experience. The speakers offer their personal opinions and advice on the matter, discussing the potential financial costs and the value of an applied project versus a thesis in the eyes of employers. Ultimately, it is suggested that the decision should be based on the individual's career goals and not
othic
I am currently a senior in mechanical engineering and will be graduating next semester. Although I have a fairly good GPA (3.55) and have been building experience and extracurricular activities this past year, I am worried about finding a job. I have been trying to decide whether I should get my MS immediately after school, or go back to school later on.

I was hoping that any MEs out there could provide some advice. Is an MS worth the extra time and money, and if so, is it better to do right after your undergrad? The degree I would be interested in doing is a professional degree (MSE) that is non-thesis and would instead consist of an applied project.

Thank you for any replies.

Physics news on Phys.org
personally i would prefer to do a BS/MS right away and get it over with, while everything is still fresh in my head

Consider what you would do with the degree. What do you gain by having it.

I opted to get out into industry for several reasons. One being student loans. The second being that I was unsure what I would use that MS (or ME) for. Do I want to become a Professional Engineer and get a masters in the hopes of heading some major projects? Or will I want to get in on the business side (probably not for a while at least)? I didn't know. I figured experience was more important for me than continued education.

I will almost certainly not be going back to school unless a future employer is willing to pay for it. I don't know what I would gain from having an MS, given the direction that I want to go in. After all, you don't need an MS to become a PE, but you do need experience.

I agree though, if you are adament about getting it. Stay in school and get it right away.

I don't have any personal experience with this, only what I have heard from friends, professors and some people in industry. But from what I have heard I personally think a non-thesis MS is not worth it if an employer is not paying for it. I believe many employers would prefer someone with work experience as opposed to someone who has taken a few more classes. So I am not sure that it will help you get a job when you are finished. Then you have to consider the financial cost. You need to determine if it is likely that your increase in pay because you have the MS will offset the cost of obtaining it.

Thanks for the replies guys.

From what I have read, and as you mentioned Travis, those with graduate degrees lead engineering teams. Also, the majority of job postings I have seen they prefer applicants to have an MS. The higher average pay is also a plus.

RandomGuy, what exactly is it that makes an MS look better to employers? I always assumed it was the extra classes taken and added work. I can't see how an applied project and a thesis would look all that different to an employer that is not looking for a research engineer.

As both of you said, I'll have to take a look at the financial side as well.

Some employers aren't willing to pay the higher salary for an MS--especially one with no work experience--IMO, of course.

othic said:
Thanks for the replies guys.

RandomGuy, what exactly is it that makes an MS look better to employers? I always assumed it was the extra classes taken and added work. I can't see how an applied project and a thesis would look all that different to an employer that is not looking for a research engineer.

As both of you said, I'll have to take a look at the financial side as well.

my point is that I am not sure that the ms is more attractive to employers. If you only take classes I don't think it makes you any better of an engineer because you don't have any more practical experience then someone with only a BS and now they have to pay you more.

But keep in mind I am a grad student so I am no expert. Just an opinion I have formed from talking to others.

No matter what, for a similar job, experience will trump education almost every time.

With that said:
You can lead engineering teams with a BS. A project manager is a project manager. But a person with an MS will probably be on a faster track to large scale project management and coordination, as in being a discipline lead, or leading groups of teams, etc. We all start out doing roughly the same thing. If you've never had any industry experience (as in, working full time) then you are pretty much as useful as the guy with the BS.

In this economy, it is much harder to find a job with an MS (not that it is too hard that I would recommend against it; just harder than those that require a BS) (1) because there are less of them by the nature of the work, and (2) because they'd rather pay a guy much less and train him to do the work you'd be doing.

But, just as the jobs for PE's are pretty limited (though their pay is pretty well worth it), many companies like a significant portion of their engineering staff to have higher level education, as they can use that as leverage in selling themselves to clients.

And, as you say, the jobs that you do get are likely to be a bit more challenging, and probably more rewarding

It's a big decision. Figure out (or make a best guess at least) what you want to do with the MS. Don't do it for the money. If you do your work well, that will come. Don't get a degree because you think you'll get a higher salary down the road. There are firms that pay their starting BS engineers more than some places pay their 3 year MS employees. Do something that you will enjoy when you get into industry, because if you enjoy it, you'll work hard at it, and that is what pays off.
If what you want to do with your career requires higher level education, then i'd say get the degree now while you're still in that mode. (but do summer internships, get experience or you'll be way behind)
If not, or you're not sure, then get out into industry and fiture it out while getting experience you can use to sell yourself throughout your career.

And take what I'm saying with a grain of salt. Only you know what's best for you.

It REALLY depends on where you live.

For example, where I live, pretty much everyone expects you to get a MSc after finishing a BSc in engineering. Not that this should affect what you want to do, per se, but this means there are a lot of engineers with MScs who try to get a job, so you can expect trouble if you only have a BSc. On the other hand, if most people only have BScs, then this is much less of a problem.

Just to make sure you understand: DON'T get a degree for the job prospects, DO get a degree for the type of job you want to do.
Remember, sometimes companies will pay for your higher education (a lot of times they wont). Don't just get a degree because you think more is better. Consider what you like and where you want to go with your career.

1. Should I pursue a Master's degree or start job searching after completing my BS in Mechanical Engineering?

This is a common question among recent graduates. The answer depends on your career goals and personal preferences. A Master's degree can provide you with a more specialized and in-depth knowledge of your field, while job searching can give you practical experience and help you build a professional network. Consider your long-term goals and weigh the pros and cons of each option before making a decision.

2. What are the benefits of obtaining a Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering?

A Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering can open up a wide range of career opportunities. It can also lead to higher salaries and better job prospects. Additionally, a Master's degree can help you develop advanced skills and knowledge in a specific area of mechanical engineering, making you a more competitive candidate in the job market.

3. Will having a Master's degree make me overqualified for entry-level positions?

Not necessarily. While some entry-level positions may require only a Bachelor's degree, having a Master's degree can give you a competitive edge and make you stand out among other job applicants. It can also set you up for faster career advancement and higher-paying roles in the long run.

4. Can I work while pursuing a Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering?

It is possible to work while pursuing a Master's degree, but it can be challenging to balance both commitments. Some graduate programs offer part-time options or allow students to work on research projects or gain practical experience while studying. It is essential to carefully plan your schedule and manage your time effectively to succeed in both your studies and work.

5. Is it worth taking a break from school to gain work experience before pursuing a Master's degree?

The answer to this question depends on your personal circumstances and career goals. Taking a break from school to gain work experience can provide you with practical skills and a deeper understanding of the industry, which can be beneficial in your graduate studies. However, it may also delay your academic progress and require you to readjust to the academic environment when you return to school. Consider your priorities and weigh the potential benefits and drawbacks before making a decision.