Is a BSc in Applied Physics Enough for a Successful Career in Engineering?

In summary, the speaker is a senior majoring in Applied Physics and plans to pursue a master's degree in Electrical Engineering. However, they are concerned about finding a job without accreditation as a Professional Engineer and are contemplating changing majors. They are seeking suggestions and information on their options.
Fjolvar
I am a senior majoring in Applied Physics.. I'm set to graduate next year and intended on pursuing a master's degree in Electrical Engineering. After doing research it seems it will be difficult to find a job even after I obtained my master's degree for the simple fact of not being an accredited Professional Engineer. I've considered changing majors to electrical engineering but this will require three more years of school and many of the courses I've already completed will go to waste. Right now I'm feeling like a sucker for majoring in Physics..
I just want a job in the industry where I can apply my knowledge and skills. Any suggestions or information on my options would be greatly appreciated. Right now my mind is blank.

Physics news on Phys.org
Fjolvar said:
I am a senior majoring in Applied Physics.. I'm set to graduate next year and intended on pursuing a master's degree in Electrical Engineering. After doing research it seems it will be difficult to find a job even after I obtained my master's degree for the simple fact of not being an accredited Professional Engineer. I've considered changing majors to electrical engineering but this will require three more years of school and many of the courses I've already completed will go to waste. Right now I'm feeling like a sucker for majoring in Physics..
I just want a job in the industry where I can apply my knowledge and skills. Any suggestions or information on my options would be greatly appreciated. Right now my mind is blank.

In Canada in order to be accredited as a professional engineer you also need a few years of work experience in the field, meaning graduate engineers have to find a job before they can become P. Engg's. Are you sure that's not the case where you live?

1. What is the difference between a BSc in Applied Physics and a traditional Physics degree?

A BSc in Applied Physics focuses on the practical application of physics principles to real-world problems, while a traditional Physics degree delves more into theoretical concepts and research. Applied Physics also has a stronger focus on engineering and technology, making it a more practical and hands-on degree.

2. What career opportunities are available for graduates with a BSc in Applied Physics?

Graduates with a BSc in Applied Physics have a wide range of career options, including roles in research and development, engineering, technology, and consulting. They can work in industries such as healthcare, energy, aerospace, and telecommunications.

3. Is a BSc in Applied Physics a good choice for someone interested in both physics and engineering?

Yes, a BSc in Applied Physics is an excellent choice for individuals who have a passion for both physics and engineering. This degree program combines the principles of physics with practical engineering skills, providing a well-rounded education for those interested in both fields.

4. What skills will I develop in a BSc in Applied Physics program?

Students in a BSc in Applied Physics program will develop a strong foundation in physics principles, as well as critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. They will also gain practical skills in data analysis, computer programming, and laboratory techniques.

5. Is a BSc in Applied Physics a challenging degree program?

Yes, a BSc in Applied Physics can be a challenging degree program, as it requires a strong understanding of physics principles and the ability to apply them to real-world problems. However, with dedication and hard work, students can successfully complete the program and have a rewarding career in a variety of industries.