BSc, MSc,Phd at the same school

• Programs
  • Thread starter neurocomp2003
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bsc School
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of doing all three degrees at the same school and whether it is frowned upon or not. It is becoming more common, but the general consensus is that it is not a good idea. The conversation also touches on the advantages of changing schools for networking and exchange of ideas, as well as the potential disadvantages of staying at the same school. It is mentioned that some employers may not be inclined to hire someone who has earned all their degrees from one school, and it is generally easier to get into graduate school at the same school where one did their undergraduate degree. However, it is also noted that having strong recommendations from reputable sources is crucial in the application process for graduate school. The conversation also discusses the notion of
Yeah...and letting some guy get away with saying that just because you go the same school for your post high school education career makes you less of a candidate for a job...

Oh the irony...

Physics news on Phys.org
marlon said:
Just a field, or a description of your professional activities will do. ...You see my point ?marlon

Optical measurements...how about that...

But I still do not see your point. Again, I still do not see how this is pertinent to the original question posed here about getting all of your degrees from the same institution.

Because I said that I would not divulge my employer, where or what should have been of no consequnce to this thread. If you wish to give that information, good for you, I cannot to because it is my employers policy. Now someday you will get out of school and get a job, if your employer asks you to do the same will you comply? If your position depended on it, I would suspect that you would because the almighty $$ is more important to your continued survival than your ego. In my chosen line of work your if you are asked to leave a firm or outright removed, the chances of ever working that field have dropped into the "nil" category because all of our competitors out there have very similar policies., i.e. you're going to spend a lot of time finding a job in a different field and pretty much be black listed in your former field.

buddyholly9999 said:
Well, I would never want to hire someone who made a career of the military..being a fellow Veternarian myself, I know them types. I would, however, not discriminate against someone based on where they were educated at. As far as I and the law are concerned, that is illegal.

In fact, your probably better off keeping your job hush-hush because
if your viewpoints on hiring people, whether they attended the same school for three degrees or not, finds its way to your employers could be grounds for termination.

Oh yeah...and if you give me some BS like..."my employers feel the same way I do and in fact we practice what we preach"..well then congratulations for finding people that are as ignorant and unethical as you are.

You start the thread by saying you wouldn't hire someone from the military, but you end the post saying he's ignorant and unethical.

That has to be the dumbest post I've read on PF in the 2 and half years I've been here.

I'm somewhat confused, are we talking about military veterinarians? That doesn't sound like a broad category.

JasonRox said:
You start the thread by saying you wouldn't hire someone from the military, but you end the post saying he's ignorant and unethical.

That has to be the dumbest post I've read on PF in the 2 and half years I've been here.

Have you read my posts?

Rach3 said:
I'm somewhat confused, are we talking about military veterinarians? That doesn't sound like a broad category.

No, no, no, this has nothing to do with the veterinarian occupation. Transport commented that he was a former vet, as in veteran, as in someone who's served in the armed forces. As for the previous comment about not hiring someone from the military...I'm speechless. I can tell you that some of the most intelligent people I've ever met have had military careers. The technological know-how of Air Force and Navy personnel alone surpasses what a lot of tenured professors ever dream of. I'm willing to bet you that someone with a combined physics and military background has potential employers in the private sector practically creaming their pants. The military gets the best toys and the best budget for the best research, for military personnel and civilian contractors. While I'm like most of the people here and wish for that research to be used primarily for the betterment of society instead of the immediate needs of defense, the two aren't mutually exclusive.

cyrusabdollahi said:
Have you read my posts?

Nah, I just skip by them. :tongue:

Hey, Rox, bet I'm more of an alpha male than you are...how's that for the dumbest post you ever saw on PF? ;)

buddyholly9999 said:
Well, I would never want to hire someone who made a career of the military..being a fellow Veternarian myself, I know them types.

Is this a joke? Seriously, I'm having a hard time telling.

buddyholly9999 said:
I would, however, not discriminate against someone based on where they were educated at. As far as I and the law are concerned, that is illegal.

So you think (at least partly) basing a hiring decision on where someone was educated is illegal? Where exactly is this illegal?

ballistikk said:
As for the previous comment about not hiring someone from the military...

No where did I ever mention that...

Another clarification, I never said that it was corporate policy to not hire or consider hiring people who have all their degrees i.e. Bs through PhD from the same institution.

BuddyHolly9999 said:
I would, however, not discriminate against someone based on where they were educated at. As far as I and the law are concerned, that is illegal.

The burden of proof is with the person who claims to have been wronged. If you happen to not get hired by a firm and you percieve that it was because of getting all of your degrees from one institution, unless you have some really good proof, your claims won't get too far.

You can whine all you want, but in the end that is all your going to be able to do, All the employer has to do is say is that you do not meet their complete qualifications or you were not a good fit for the position. Believe me, there are companies who will not hire graduates of certain schools, I have seen it and have been told it.

Lets say that you wrote a top notch dissertation in some area that a company really want to work in or is working in and just happened to be at one school for 10 years getting all your degrees, but your character is lacking, hypothetically you are a habitual drug user or have been picked up on DUI or any other type of misdemeanor, when they do a background or police check on you, you most likely will not get an offer. Most employers will not hire people with misdemenors in their past and a felony is a no no.

buddyholly9999 said:
Hey, Rox, bet I'm more of an alpha male than you are...how's that for the dumbest post you ever saw on PF? ;)

You clearly don't read much yomamma.

Doc, I still have not heard from you as to why you frown upon all 3 from the same institution? What is wrong with that?

United States of America..

http://www.eeoc.gov/facts/qanda.html

and for those of you to lazy...

Discriminatory practices under these [federal] laws also include:

employment decisions based on stereotypes or assumptions about the abilities, traits, or performance of individuals of a certain sex, race, age, religion, or ethnic group, or individuals with disabilities; and

All it takes is one person...

yup...shmoe..things shouldn't be so serious sometimes..

cyrusabdollahi said:
Doc, I still have not heard from you as to why you frown upon all 3 from the same institution? What is wrong with that?

I have found that people who get all of their advanced education from one institution tend to have blinders on.

In what respect?

buddyholly9999 said:

employment decisions based on stereotypes or assumptions about the abilities, traits, or performance of individuals of a certain sex, race, age, religion, or ethnic group, or individuals with disabilities; and

No where does it say institutions of higher education. Ther are plenty of places who will not hire from certain colleges because of past experience with their graduates. If a position calls for a degree from an ABET Accredited institution, if your school is not, "tough luck Charlie", you are not getting hired.

I will add this, I know some very intelligent people who went to the University of Rochester for undergraduate degrees in Optics. When they applied to UofR for graduate work they were told not to bother, it was a waste of time and money, they were not getting in.

Last edited:
cyrusabdollahi said:
In what respect?

They have only one view of things in their degree program, other departments give you a fresh vantage point to make decisions.

Well, I plan on doing the first two at the same place. As for Phd, <shudder> not so sure if I will do one at all. :smile:

cyrusabdollahi said:
You're not allowed to tell where you work? That's odd...

unless he works for DoD

buddyholly9999 said:
United States of America..

http://www.eeoc.gov/facts/qanda.html

and for those of you to lazy...

I'm lazy. Please point out where it says they can't base employment decisions on where someone received their degree(s) because I don't see it on the list you've quoted.

Pythagorean said:
unless he works for DoD

He said Industry, that would be the government.

cyrusabdollahi said:
He said Industry, that would be the government.

oh :blushing:

Dr Transport said:
Optical measurements...how about that...
Well, it's a start.

But I still do not see your point. Again, I still do not see how this is pertinent to the original question posed here about getting all of your degrees from the same institution.

Well, i was not reacting towards the original question. I was asking YOU about the fact why YOU cannot reveal your employer's name or the name of the company you work for. If all you do is optical measurements (which are, at least last time i checked, not revolutionary or harmful for the world) then why is your boss NOT allowing you to reveal the company's name. Now, don't just say, "it is our policy". You are entitled to ask questions, right ? So, surely, you must know why you cannot say that name ? Please tell me that. It might make things more clearer.

Finally, i work in a research institute where there is a non disclosure policy on the results that are acquired. Each of our groups has private meetings and this is a privacy that i respect. But that does NOT make it impossible for me to tell YOU where i work : IMEC. Don't just say : ohh, one day you will get oyut of school and ...There is no reason to treat me like a child, thankyouverymuch. I ain't stupid, you know...

marlon

marlon said:
So, surely, you must know why you cannot say that name ? Please tell me that. It might make things more clearer.
marlon

The reason is competative advantage...If your competitors don't know you are doing something, they cannot get into the game and get ahead of you in securing external funding.

A nondisclosure policy is very different from a policy that requires denial that something exists...Anyone that does not work in that world does not understand it. Our restrictions limit our searches on the internet because if someone traced our usage and search records they may be able to reverse engineer what we are working on.

Dr Transport said:
A nondisclosure policy is very different from a policy that requires denial that something exists...Anyone that does not work in that world does not understand it. Our restrictions limit our searches on the internet because if someone traced our usage and search records they may be able to reverse engineer what we are working on.
Yet you're allowed to post on a public message board?!?

Any admin could go to these boards controls and see where you're posting from - if not your exact computer, they would see your gateway, leading to your organisation...

Or is it soooooo secret, they rerout you through ''Bob's Hardware Supplies'' :wink: :biggrin:

Dr Transport said:
The reason is competative advantage...If your competitors don't know you are doing something, they cannot get into the game and get ahead of you in securing external funding.

But this is NOT the point. I NEVER asked you to talk about the actual content of your work. I understand all of what you say hereabove but this is NOT a reason for saying : i cannot tell you where i work. It seems to me this is more your typical "i want to feel special be remaining secret"-type of behaviour.

To be clear, you have not yet provided us with a reason as to why you cannot reveal the name of the company you work for. Competition has nothing to do with that. We all know that Bill gates works for Microsoft but do you think we all knew what the newest Microsoft software was going to be in 1995 ?
i Mean, do you really tink that just by knowing Gates' name and the fact that he was/is a software developer, people were able to reverse engineer Windows 95 prior to it being released ? Ofcourse not, and this is a guy who is far more important than our entire community here,...,squared.

Well, can be but then i guess i should not have used the "non disclosure part" because in the company i work for (do my PhD in) we have the exact same policy as the one you have just outlined.

marlon

rad0786 said:
Question:

Let's say you are in fourth year and your are ready to apply to graduate school.

I was told that it is MUCH easier to get into the graduate school where you did you undergrauate since you should (hopefully) know most of the faculty.

It this generally true?

How is the application process to other schools?

I spoke to my physics advisor and she said she wouldn't accept anybody who did undergrad at the same school. :p