• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

BSc Physics(Honours) student from India wants info on U.K.Uni's offering MSc Physics

• Thread starter radhikak
  • Start date
Hi All,
I am a BSc Physics Honours student at the University of Delhi in India. I am interested in pursuing an MSc in Physics from a good university in the U.K. I am looking for information regarding the univs offering MSc in Physics, TA's/RA's /funding for foreign students, information on eligibility and the admission process. One of my concerns is whether i would be eligible for admission as BSc in India is a three year course.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

cristo

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Re: BSc Physics(Honours) student from India wants info on U.K.Uni's offering MSc Phys

I'm not sure I can be much help, since your question is very general, and may depend on what specifically you want to study. Some general answers, though: I wouldn't worry about eligibility, since BSc degrees in the UK are only 3 years long as well. As for TA/RA grants: they don't exist for master's degrees in the UK. You might be lucky and get some international funding, but this will depend on the university and department. I haven't heard of anyone get funding for a masters degree, but that isn't to say you won't be able to.. just that it's uncommon.

Noo

Re: BSc Physics(Honours) student from India wants info on U.K.Uni's offering MSc Phys

A BSc is 3 years in the UK, but a BSc Hons (which is what radhikak speaks of) is 4 years. I do see occasional MSc Studentships being advertised - though usually not from any of the 'top' UK Universities - and i'm not sure if they include funding for International Students.

cristo

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor

A BSc is 3 years in the UK, but a BSc Hons (which is what radhikak speaks of) is 4 years.
Erm.. no it's not! E.g. http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/course.php?code=000281

The only difference between an honours degree and an ordinary degree is the number of credits/units (or whatever they're called at your university) taken per year. In an ordinary degree, one takes a couple of courses less per year, but both take 3 years.

A BSc is 3 years in the UK, but a BSc Hons (which is what radhikak speaks of) is 4 years. I do see occasional MSc Studentships being advertised - though usually not from any of the 'top' UK Universities - and i'm not sure if they include funding for International Students.
A four year undergraduate degree is an undergraduate masters, or MSci/MPhys, which is designed to help prep you for research.

Noo

A four year undergraduate degree is an undergraduate masters, or MSci/MPhys, which is designed to help prep you for research.
No - it's not. Not in Scotland, at least. BSc Hons is a 4 year course - 5 years for Masters.

[QUOUTE=cristo]The only difference between an honours degree and an ordinary degree is the number of credits/units (or whatever they're called at your university) taken per year.[\QUOTE]

Again - in Scotland at least - there is a difference beyond that. There are Honours routes, studying similar subject matter in greater depth. Students usually split after 2 years (although sometimes prior) into those who are likely to proceed to honours and those who arent.

cristo

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor

Again - in Scotland at least - there is a difference beyond that. There are Honours routes, studying similar subject matter in greater depth. Students usually split after 2 years (although sometimes prior) into those who are likely to proceed to honours and those who arent.
But that's in Scotland, which is a completely different education system again, since one leaves school a year earlier than the rest of the UK. I had assumed the OP was asking about the majority of the UK, and not a minority.

In the majority of the UK, the system is as I described above.

Noo

I had assumed he asked of the UK - not England.

I had assumed he asked of the UK - not England.
If you assumed he meant the UK why was your answer solely about Scotland?

Both of our responses were on England, Wales, and Northern Ireland; the UK, minus Scotland of course.

I got funding for a masters, but I'm old enough to come from a time when such things were possible.