1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

BSc Physics(Honours) student from India wants info on U.K.Uni's offering MSc Physics

1. Mar 16, 2009 #1
    Hi All,
    I am a BSc Physics Honours student at the University of Delhi in India. I am interested in pursuing an MSc in Physics from a good university in the U.K. I am looking for information regarding the univs offering MSc in Physics, TA's/RA's /funding for foreign students, information on eligibility and the admission process. One of my concerns is whether i would be eligible for admission as BSc in India is a three year course.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2009 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: BSc Physics(Honours) student from India wants info on U.K.Uni's offering MSc Phys

I'm not sure I can be much help, since your question is very general, and may depend on what specifically you want to study. Some general answers, though: I wouldn't worry about eligibility, since BSc degrees in the UK are only 3 years long as well. As for TA/RA grants: they don't exist for master's degrees in the UK. You might be lucky and get some international funding, but this will depend on the university and department. I haven't heard of anyone get funding for a masters degree, but that isn't to say you won't be able to.. just that it's uncommon.

4. Mar 16, 2009 #3

Noo

Re: BSc Physics(Honours) student from India wants info on U.K.Uni's offering MSc Phys

A BSc is 3 years in the UK, but a BSc Hons (which is what radhikak speaks of) is 4 years. I do see occasional MSc Studentships being advertised - though usually not from any of the 'top' UK Universities - and i'm not sure if they include funding for International Students.

5. Mar 16, 2009 #4

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Erm.. no it's not! E.g. http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/course.php?code=000281

The only difference between an honours degree and an ordinary degree is the number of credits/units (or whatever they're called at your university) taken per year. In an ordinary degree, one takes a couple of courses less per year, but both take 3 years.

6. Mar 16, 2009 #5

A four year undergraduate degree is an undergraduate masters, or MSci/MPhys, which is designed to help prep you for research.

7. Mar 17, 2009 #6

Noo

No - it's not. Not in Scotland, at least. BSc Hons is a 4 year course - 5 years for Masters.

[QUOUTE=cristo]The only difference between an honours degree and an ordinary degree is the number of credits/units (or whatever they're called at your university) taken per year.[\QUOTE]

Again - in Scotland at least - there is a difference beyond that. There are Honours routes, studying similar subject matter in greater depth. Students usually split after 2 years (although sometimes prior) into those who are likely to proceed to honours and those who arent.

8. Mar 17, 2009 #7

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

But that's in Scotland, which is a completely different education system again, since one leaves school a year earlier than the rest of the UK. I had assumed the OP was asking about the majority of the UK, and not a minority.

In the majority of the UK, the system is as I described above.

9. Mar 17, 2009 #8

Noo

I had assumed he asked of the UK - not England.

10. Mar 18, 2009 #9

If you assumed he meant the UK why was your answer solely about Scotland?

Both of our responses were on England, Wales, and Northern Ireland; the UK, minus Scotland of course.

11. Mar 21, 2009 #10

I got funding for a masters, but I'm old enough to come from a time when such things were possible.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook