MSc in Physics for Indian BSc Student: Eligibility & Admission

In summary, radhikak is a BSc Physics Honours student at the University of Delhi in India who is interested in pursuing an MSc in Physics from a good university in the U.K. He is looking for information regarding the univs offering MSc in Physics, TA's/RA's /funding for foreign students, information on eligibility and the admission process. One of his concerns is whether he would be eligible for admission as a BSc in India is a three year course.
radhikak
Hi All,
I am a BSc Physics Honours student at the University of Delhi in India. I am interested in pursuing an MSc in Physics from a good university in the U.K. I am looking for information regarding the univs offering MSc in Physics, TA's/RA's /funding for foreign students, information on eligibility and the admission process. One of my concerns is whether i would be eligible for admission as BSc in India is a three year course.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Physics news on Phys.org

I'm not sure I can be much help, since your question is very general, and may depend on what specifically you want to study. Some general answers, though: I wouldn't worry about eligibility, since BSc degrees in the UK are only 3 years long as well. As for TA/RA grants: they don't exist for master's degrees in the UK. You might be lucky and get some international funding, but this will depend on the university and department. I haven't heard of anyone get funding for a masters degree, but that isn't to say you won't be able to.. just that it's uncommon.

A BSc is 3 years in the UK, but a BSc Hons (which is what radhikak speaks of) is 4 years. I do see occasional MSc Studentships being advertised - though usually not from any of the 'top' UK Universities - and I'm not sure if they include funding for International Students.

Noo said:
A BSc is 3 years in the UK, but a BSc Hons (which is what radhikak speaks of) is 4 years.

Erm.. no it's not! E.g. http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/course.php?code=000281

The only difference between an honours degree and an ordinary degree is the number of credits/units (or whatever they're called at your university) taken per year. In an ordinary degree, one takes a couple of courses less per year, but both take 3 years.

Noo said:
A BSc is 3 years in the UK, but a BSc Hons (which is what radhikak speaks of) is 4 years. I do see occasional MSc Studentships being advertised - though usually not from any of the 'top' UK Universities - and I'm not sure if they include funding for International Students.

A four year undergraduate degree is an undergraduate masters, or MSci/MPhys, which is designed to help prep you for research.

calvinuk said:
A four year undergraduate degree is an undergraduate masters, or MSci/MPhys, which is designed to help prep you for research.

No - it's not. Not in Scotland, at least. BSc Hons is a 4 year course - 5 years for Masters.

[QUOUTE=cristo]The only difference between an honours degree and an ordinary degree is the number of credits/units (or whatever they're called at your university) taken per year.[\QUOTE]

Again - in Scotland at least - there is a difference beyond that. There are Honours routes, studying similar subject matter in greater depth. Students usually split after 2 years (although sometimes prior) into those who are likely to proceed to honours and those who arent.

Noo said:
Again - in Scotland at least - there is a difference beyond that. There are Honours routes, studying similar subject matter in greater depth. Students usually split after 2 years (although sometimes prior) into those who are likely to proceed to honours and those who arent.

But that's in Scotland, which is a completely different education system again, since one leaves school a year earlier than the rest of the UK. I had assumed the OP was asking about the majority of the UK, and not a minority.

In the majority of the UK, the system is as I described above.

I had assumed he asked of the UK - not England.

Noo said:
I had assumed he asked of the UK - not England.

If you assumed he meant the UK why was your answer solely about Scotland?

Both of our responses were on England, Wales, and Northern Ireland; the UK, minus Scotland of course.

I got funding for a masters, but I'm old enough to come from a time when such things were possible.

1. What are the eligibility criteria for pursuing an MSc in Physics for Indian BSc students?

The eligibility criteria for an MSc in Physics for Indian BSc students may vary depending on the university or institution they are applying to. Generally, students must have completed a Bachelor's degree in Physics or a related field from a recognized university with a minimum of 50% marks. Some universities may also require students to have a strong background in mathematics and other science subjects.

2. Are there any entrance exams for admission into an MSc in Physics program for Indian BSc students?

Yes, most universities and institutions require students to take an entrance exam for admission into their MSc in Physics program. Some common entrance exams include the Joint Admission Test for MSc (JAM), National Entrance Screening Test (NEST), and Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE).

3. What is the duration of an MSc in Physics program for Indian BSc students?

The duration of an MSc in Physics program for Indian BSc students is typically two years. However, some universities may offer an integrated MSc-PhD program that can take up to five years to complete.

4. What are the job prospects after completing an MSc in Physics for Indian BSc students?

An MSc in Physics opens up a wide range of career opportunities for Indian BSc students. They can choose to pursue a career in research, teaching, or work in industries such as aerospace, energy, healthcare, and technology. Some popular job roles for MSc Physics graduates include research scientist, data analyst, science writer, and technical consultant.

5. Is it necessary to have a BSc in Physics to pursue an MSc in Physics for Indian students?

No, it is not mandatory to have a BSc in Physics to pursue an MSc in Physics for Indian students. However, having a background in physics and related subjects will give students a better understanding of the program and may also be required by some universities as an eligibility criterion. Students from other science backgrounds may also be considered for admission, but they may have to take additional courses to catch up with the required knowledge and skills.