Physics or Engineering: Which Is the Right Path for a Future in Astrophysics?

In summary, the person is trying to decide between pursuing a BSc in Physics or Engineering. They are more interested in physics and want to become an astrophysicist, but are also considering engineering due to job opportunities. The pros and cons of both fields are discussed, with the conclusion that a Masters or PhD may be necessary for those interested in research or academia in engineering. The recommendation is to pursue Aerospace Engineering due to its multifaceted nature and potential to work on projects related to space exploration.
golu14
BSc Physics (major) or Enggineering?

I just completed my school and have the above dilemma, i have been thinking about it for a while but couldn't decide.
Im really interested in physics(even though I am a little weak at it) and want to pursue a career as an astrophysicist.
i personally think that enggineering has way too many subjects/topics i wouldn't want to study like making engines, soldering, knowing how machines work and so on, and it will take a whole year extra to complete as compared to BSc (3 vs 4)
Im really more interested in deeper things like the universe, relativity, space and time etc.

What are the pros and cons of both?
Will i still need to do MSc before i do PhD if i go with engg?
What would be the best engg field for me?

Any other tips?

Thanks! (:

EDIT: i am aware that engineering gets me more job opportunities.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What are the pros and cons of both?

Engineering Pros:

Money.
You'll always have a job.
You'll get to launch rockets or design motors or play with electricity or whatever you want to do, and it'll benefit thousands and maybe even millions or billions of people.
You get out of college much sooner.

Engineering Cons:

It can get a little dreary if you land one of the many "boring" engineering jobs.
You're not as smart as a physicist - probably.

Physics Pros:

You get to study at the forefront of human knowledge.

Physics Cons:

You probably won't get to study at the forefront of human knowledge, at least if the physicists on the board here are right when they say that your chances of landing a job in the field you want are very low.

Will i still need to do MSc before i do PhD if i go with engg?

Conventional wisdom holds that industry engineers don't need to do a Masters, but research/academia engineers should do at least a Masters and probably a PhD at some point.

What would be the best engg field for me?

I, like you, held a fascination for the universe, but my interests manifested as a desire to help create the machines that would drive exploration of the final frontier. Naturally I went aerospace engineering.

Aeroeng is also pretty multifaceted. You can plot orbital trajectories, you can design rocket motors, you can model reentry heat transfer, you can model aerodynamic drag, you can design stable structures, you can design systems that control pitch, yaw, and roll - and that's just the astronautical part. There are other interesting things to look at in aeronautics. The sky's the limit when it comes to what you want to specialize in (pun fully intended).

What is the difference between BSc Physics and Engineering?

BSc Physics and Engineering are two distinct undergraduate degree programs that have different focuses and career paths. BSc Physics primarily focuses on the study of the fundamental laws and principles of the physical world, while Engineering focuses on the application of scientific and mathematical principles to design and build structures, devices, and systems.

Which degree is better for a career in research?

Both BSc Physics and Engineering can lead to careers in research, but BSc Physics may be more suitable for those interested in theoretical research, while Engineering may be better for those interested in applied research. It ultimately depends on your specific research interests and career goals.

Can I switch from BSc Physics to Engineering (or vice versa) after starting my degree?

It is possible to switch between BSc Physics and Engineering, but it may require additional coursework and may delay your graduation. It is important to carefully consider your interests and career goals before choosing a degree program.

What are the job prospects for graduates with a BSc Physics or Engineering degree?

Both BSc Physics and Engineering degrees can lead to a wide range of career opportunities in various industries, including research, technology, healthcare, energy, and more. Graduates with these degrees often have strong critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills that are highly valued by employers.

Is a BSc Physics or Engineering degree more challenging?

Both degree programs can be challenging, as they require a strong foundation in mathematics and science. However, the level of difficulty may vary depending on your individual strengths and interests. It is important to choose a degree program that you are passionate about and willing to put in the effort to succeed.