Is Pursuing a BSCS After a BSEE and MEngEE Worth It?

• Engineering
  • Thread starter YoshiMoshi
  • Start date
In summary: As long as you put in the effort and show good work, you should advance in title and salary regardless of what degree you obtain. Pursue a degree if you feel it will be beneficial to yourself and the company, but do not pursue one simply because the company will pay for it.
YoshiMoshi
Since I have gotten my BSEE, I have been working full time in the field and taking one course at a time towards a MEngEE, and will be done with the masters course work by the end of next year.

The company I work for will pay for the tuition if I were to continue going to school after the MEngEE, but only the tuition. So textbooks, and miscellaneous fees would be on me. My company will only support one degree at each level. Meaning I could pursue either a PHD or a BS with my companies financial support. Because I'd be working full time, I'm not so sure I could handle pursuing a PHD at the same time.

Would it be worth getting another BS, like in computer science? I would do it part time taking one class a time, with the tuition paid for by my company.

My company doesn't give out raises once you get another degree, so I would see no increase in my financial well being after getting the degree. But with the other degree I would have more credentials and could possibly qualify for other jobs and get a raise that way.

Do you think it's worth getting a BSCS after getting a BSEE and a MEngEE?

Physics news on Phys.org
No I don't think it's worth anything. If your company is reputable, you should advance in title and salary as time progresses, as long as you put out good and timely work and show leadership skills. With both a BS and Meng, you are already in a good position.

Yea I understand, but I feel like if my company will pay for it, then why not? I know that second masters would be better, but I wouldn't have my company financing and it would come out of my pocket completely, and I don't have the funds to do that without financial support from my company. When I got a BSEE, I had enough credits for a math minor and one class away from a minor in computer science. So I was thinking I would have to get either a math or computer science degree. I'm thinking computer science would be better than math. If I recall correctly the computer science and electrical engineering were the same department.

The fact that the company will pay for another degree is not a reason to pursue one in your situation. You are simply seeking to take advantage of the company, without any real gain to either yourself or the company. I agree with PhanthomJay; it is not a good idea.

What if I did a math degree instead? Would that be better? I had enough credits to get a minor in math after I completed my BSEE degree. I think math is more applicable to electrical engineering than computer science, so that would benefit me and therefore the company?

What if you quit going to school and put your extra energy and creativity into doing your job or some other outlet? Why must you pursue a degree just because the company will pay for it?

Likes gmax137

What is the difference between BSEE, MEngEE, and BSCS?

BSEE stands for Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering, MEngEE stands for Master of Engineering in Electrical Engineering, and BSCS stands for Bachelor of Science in Computer Science. These are all undergraduate or graduate degrees in the fields of engineering and computer science, but they differ in the specific focus and coursework required.

Which degree is more valuable in the job market?

The value of a degree in the job market depends on various factors such as the industry, job market demand, and individual skills and experiences. In general, all three degrees can lead to successful careers in their respective fields, and it is important to choose the degree that aligns with your interests and career goals.

Can I pursue a career in both electrical engineering and computer science with a BSCS degree?

Yes, a BSCS degree can provide a foundation for a career in both electrical engineering and computer science. However, it may be more challenging to pursue certain roles in electrical engineering without a degree specifically in that field. It is important to research the specific job requirements and consider additional coursework or certifications to supplement your degree.

Do I need a graduate degree to be successful in these fields?

No, a graduate degree is not always necessary for success in these fields. Many individuals have successful careers with only an undergraduate degree, while others choose to pursue a graduate degree to advance their knowledge and skills in a specific area. It is important to assess your career goals and research the job market to determine if a graduate degree is necessary for your desired career path.

What job opportunities are available with these degrees?

BSEE and MEngEE degrees can lead to careers in electrical engineering, such as designing and testing electrical systems and equipment. BSCS degrees can lead to careers in computer science, such as developing software and programming. However, there is overlap in these fields, and individuals with any of these degrees can also pursue careers in related areas, such as data science or computer engineering.