Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!


  1. Aug 23, 2011 #1
    Has anyone else out there has taken this path? I spoke with the EE department chair at my undergrad school and he said not to bother with a second bachelors (BSEE) and to just go ahead and apply to grad school, mention that I spoke with him, and once I've applied, they can generate a list of bridge courses that would be necessary to pursue a MSEE. I'm going to pursue this, but in the meantime I'm just wondering if anyone has any words of wisdom or information they can share. What classes are typically required to bridge from BSME to MSEE? I have a good community college nearby, but does anyone know of some good online alternatives for any EE courses? (By good I mean in an abet accredited program).

  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2011 #2
    I know one guy who did this, he wanted to do research in solid state electronics; the basic courses for EE are analog/digital electronics, communication systems, signals and systems and probably a course in solid state physics from the EE dept. I know another guy who did the exact opposite route (BSEE and MSME and all he had to do was take mechanics of materials on top of statics, dynamics, and material science).
  4. Aug 23, 2011 #3


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    I used to work with a fellow that did this. He was interested in signal processing, so they had him TA the signals and systems course while he started taking courses in DSP, stocastic processes, etc. He had a little of a rough go of it at first, but after something like a year he had caught up.

    Many people go to EE grad school with non-EE backgrounds (I've seen math, physics, applied physics, ME, ...). Don't be afraid - go for it.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook