Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Buba-Kiki Poll

1. Orange is Kiki, Purple is Buba

31 vote(s)
    86.1%
  2. Orange is Buba, Purple is Kiki

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. No idea/Don't wish to guess

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  1. Nov 3, 2007 #1

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In the image below, you'll see two shapes, one of which is orange, and the other is purple.

One of the images stands for the word "BUBA", and the other stands for the word "KIKI"

The question of this poll is:

In your opinion, which image best represents "KIKI" and which represents "BUBA"?

[​IMG]

I'm trying to verify a test, so those of you who've seen this before, please don't vote.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2007 #2

Mk

Well I kind of look at the image and think that shapes don't really have names.

At first I read kiki and though "oh, that's of course the purple one" because it looked kind of tropical tome, but then I didn't think "buba" was the orange one.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2007
  4. Nov 4, 2007 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Star and inkblot come to mind for me. :uhh:

5. Nov 4, 2007 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

On mere phonetic "grounds", I'd say the softer sounding "Buba" corresponds better to the softer purple figure than the spiky orange one.

6. Nov 4, 2007 #5

turbo

Gold Member

The poll bears you out. I voted before reading posts so I wouldn't be swayed, and you nailed my thoughts exactly. I doubt that changing the colors would change the poll much.

7. Nov 4, 2007 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I've heard about onomatopoeitika, that is "sound-descriptive" words. (Like "mooh", "oink", "wham")

But I don't know if there is a technical term for "phonetic analogies" as in this case, or if we have some undisputed real examples of it in normal language.

8. Nov 4, 2007 #7
    Kiki is probably much better for the orange on as ki is a much sharper tone than buba, which corresponds better to a softer edged figure.

9. Nov 4, 2007 #8

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I am quite certain that we are "figure"-dominant, rather than "colour"-dominant.

While I sort of agree that orange is a "spikier" colour than purple, and on pure "colour grounds" I'd say kiki represents orange better than purple, I am sure that if we switched the colours, the spiky star would still be the one called kiki by most.

10. Nov 4, 2007 #9

radou

Homework Helper

In this case yes, but I'm not sure about that in general.

11. Nov 4, 2007 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Funny...for me it's more an alliteration of the other words I'd use. Blob, bubble, buba. Kiki only goes with the star by default, because it doesn't seem to fit the blob at all, but it also doesn't really fit a star for me either (maybe because I still associate that sort of star with the old Batman TV series where it would be filled with words like "Kablooey" "POW!" or "Blam"). Kiki sounds too cute for such a violently explosive star.

So, I think I'm going to go with the "no idea" option, since I can only fit one of the words to a picture and not both.

12. Nov 4, 2007 #11

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Which one is Zing-zing-zingbah?

13. Nov 4, 2007 #12

Evo

Staff: Mentor

For me it was word association. Kiki is spikey, so it's the orange figure.

14. Nov 4, 2007 #13

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is just about what I was thinking. High freq./sharp ki and low freq./round bu.

15. Nov 4, 2007 #14
    i thought kiki was the purple one. Kiki is a funky, female name, that i associate with the curvy purple one. Buba is masculine which i associated with the orange spikey one. After I voted I thought of the phonetic approach, but I went with my first instinct.

16. Nov 4, 2007 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Gale, I was about to post almost exactly the same thing. To me, the gender sound of the word dictated the association.

Kiki is the feminine - the purple one - due to the soft curves and color.

Kiki Dee is the stage name of a famous female song writer and vocalist.

17. Nov 4, 2007 #16
    Well, If i'm in the minority as far as the poll goes, at least I'm in good company. I think I was the first one to vote, and I was rather surprised to come back and realize my brain way off the same wavelength as everyone else. I think its cause of a cartoon about a cute little witch named kiki I think. I think she may even have worn purple..

edit:
    Yeah, I was right about the little girl

[​IMG]

18. Nov 4, 2007 #17
    Kiki sounds sharper

Also, to me the orange star looks more feminine than the blob, which I view as more masculine.

19. Nov 5, 2007 #18

DaveC426913

Gold Member

So you two fail the test. :biggrin:

20. Nov 5, 2007 #19
    My first impression was that Buba was masculine and therefore sharp-edged, while Kiki was feminine and therefore soft and round. This was based on the characters Bubba from Forest Gump, and Kiki from Kiki's delivery service. On second thought, I also noticed that the shape of the letters in BUBA are (except for the A) rounded and in KIKI are angular. Also, KIKI has a sharp sound to it an BUBA a soft one. Then I was reminded of the Yiddish word for grandma which is Bubba. I don't know what the quiz tries to measure, but it seem to me that there are so many different good reasons for choosing one over the other, that it may fail to measure anything at all. I can't wait for the punchline.

21. Nov 5, 2007 #20

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It could just be measuring whether people associate gender to words or whether they merely think phonetically about them. Many languages have grammatical genders, but in recent times since gender equality came along there have been calls by some countries at least to make their languages gender neutral. English is relatively gender free, so in this poll I'm not particularly surprised that most people have gone for the phonetic association. It would be interesting repeating it on a German speaking forum or a French one.

However I could be completely wrong.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?