Why don't neutral particles leave tracks in the bubble chamber?

In summary, the bubble chamber was invented because particle physicists were having trouble collecting collisions with the high energy particles. The bubble chamber forms bubbles because it is filled with a liquid just below its boiling point and the magnetic field causes charged particles to travel in helical paths. Neutral particles don't leave tracks in the bubble chamber, so the bubble forms around the atom, not the charged particle.
garytse86
Why don't neutral particles leave tracks in the bubble chamber?

How is the bubble formed, is it condensation around ionised hydrogen, or around the particles?

Physics news on Phys.org
A bubble chamber is made by filling a large cylinder with a liquid just below its boiling point, while the whole chamber is under a constant magnetic field. As particles enter the chamber, a piston suddenly decreases the pressure in the chamber. This brings the liquid to a superheated state, in which a tiny effect, such as the passing of a charged particle near an atom, is sufficient to make a bubble of gas. A camera records what's happening. The magnetic field causes charged particles to travel in helical paths whose radius is determined by the ratio of charge to mass of the particle. In this way charged particles can be observed and their mass measured, however, there is no way to know their velocity. Because the detection of the particle relies on the magnetic field-particle interaction, neutral particles don't work.

Last edited:
so the bubble forms around the atom, not the charged particle?

Why don't neutral particles work?

garytse86 said:
so the bubble forms around the atom, not the charged particle?

Why don't neutral particles work?
If protons are put in, bubbles form around the protons, if atoms go in, bubbles form around those, of course the particles have to be charged.

I said why neutral particles don't work in the last sentance.

Or do you want me to explain it diffrently?

Neutrons can ionise hydrogen atoms and so forming charged particles, so why can't neutrons be directly detected?

I see what you mean. Iirc, most (perhaps all) neutral particles don't leave an ionization trail strong enough to trigger a bubble trail. They don't interact with the liquid strongly enough.

surely a proton and a neutron have similar ionising powers?

The particles aren't observed by what they ionize, they are observed by the bubble trail they leave behind as they pass through. The reason they need to have a charge is so the magnetic field affects them and they take on a spiral path, or else they go in a straight line and you get no useful data.

Editted spelling

garytse86 said:
surely a proton and a neutron have similar ionising powers?

Depends on what you mean by ionizing powers. If they have equal energy then yes they will create roughly the same total number of ions as each slows to a stop. But a neutron takes longer to slow than a proton, no charge to strip electrons from atoms near its path. A neutron does have a magnetic field, but this isn't nearly as effective for causing an ionization event. The net effect is that the density of ions along the track is lower. To low for a bubble trace to form.

Alright, I understand now.

Thanks for the help. :D

Gary

Glad to help. By the way, did you ever hear the story of how the bubble chamber was invented. Particle physicists had run into a problem in that cloud chambers weren't accumlating enough collision events (a particle actually striking a nucleus) due to the high energies of the particles and the low density of the gas filled cloud chamber. One evening the inventor (whose name I don't recall atm) was having a beer with friends at the local watering hole and noticed the bubbles forming in the glass. He started wondering what caused bubbles to form and... True story supposedly. :smile:

kevinalm said:
One evening the inventor (whose name I don't recall atm) was having a beer with friends at the local watering hole and noticed the bubbles forming in the glass. He started wondering what caused bubbles to form and... True story supposedly. :smile:

The guy was Donald Glaser and it happened at the University of Michigan. When I was a grad student there in the late 1970s / early 1980s, I heard that story a lot, because I did my Ph.D. with the bubble chamber group there. Glaser had been gone from Michigan for years by then. I used to know which watering hole was supposedly the site, but it seems to have slipped out of my memory. :confused:

1. Why don't neutral particles leave tracks in the bubble chamber?

Neutral particles, such as photons and neutrons, do not leave tracks in the bubble chamber because they do not have an electric charge. The tracks in a bubble chamber are created by the ionization of particles as they pass through the chamber, which is only possible for charged particles.

2. How are neutral particles detected in a bubble chamber?

Neutral particles are detected indirectly in a bubble chamber through their interactions with other particles. For example, a neutral particle may produce an electron-positron pair when it collides with a charged particle, and the tracks of these charged particles can be observed in the chamber.

3. Can neutral particles be observed in a bubble chamber at all?

Yes, neutral particles can be observed in a bubble chamber, but their detection requires additional techniques and methods. For example, a magnetic field can be used to deflect neutral particles and observe their trajectories, or special detectors can be placed outside of the chamber to detect the particles indirectly.

4. How do scientists determine the energy of a neutral particle in a bubble chamber?

The energy of a neutral particle can be determined by measuring the energy and direction of the charged particles it produces through its interactions. By analyzing the tracks of these charged particles, scientists can calculate the energy of the neutral particle that caused the interaction.

5. Are there any limitations to using a bubble chamber to study neutral particles?

While a bubble chamber is a powerful tool for studying charged particles, it does have limitations when it comes to neutral particles. For example, the chamber may not be able to detect low energy neutral particles, and the presence of a magnetic field can also affect their trajectories. Other techniques, such as particle accelerators, may be better suited for studying neutral particles in certain situations.