Calculating Pressure Inside a Water Mist Droplet

In summary, the gauge pressure inside a spherical droplet of water mist with a diameter of 0.1 mm and using a water-air surface tension of 0.07 Jm\(^{-2}\) is approximately 0.03 atm / 3000 Pa.
Derek1997

Homework Statement

What's the gauge pressure inside a droplet of water mist of diameter 0.1 mm (radius 0.05 mm), assuming that the droplet is spherical? Use a water-air surface tension of 0.07 Jm\(^{-2}\) and specify your answer in bar /atmospheres (where 1 atmosphere pressure is \(1 \times 10^5\) Pa.

Homework Equations

delta P= 2*0.07/r (in meters)

The Attempt at a Solution

I subed the value inside the equation and i got 3000pa.. which is 3atm? am i right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Derek1997 said:

Homework Statement

What's the gauge pressure inside a droplet of water mist of diameter 0.1 mm (radius 0.05 mm), assuming that the droplet is spherical? Use a water-air surface tension of 0.07 Jm\(^{-2}\) and specify your answer in bar /atmospheres (where 1 atmosphere pressure is \(1 \times 10^5\) Pa.

Homework Equations

delta P= 2*0.07/r (in meters)

The Attempt at a Solution

I subed the value inside the equation and i got 3000pa.. which is 3atm? am i right?
It looks like you've chosen the correct formula to use, and your result in Pascals looks good to me for one significant figure of accuracy. Note however that an atm is not 1000 Pa; One atm is to be taken as 105 or 100,000 Pa according to the definition you're given in the problem statement.

so 0.03?

Derek1997 said:
so 0.03?
Yes, that looks like a good value. Be sure to always specify units on any values that you present!

1. How do you calculate the pressure inside a water mist droplet?

The pressure inside a water mist droplet can be calculated using the following formula: P = 2γ/r, where P is the pressure, γ is the surface tension of water, and r is the radius of the droplet.

2. What is the significance of calculating the pressure inside a water mist droplet?

Understanding the pressure inside a water mist droplet is important for various applications, such as predicting the behavior of aerosol sprays or studying cloud formation.

3. How does the surface tension of water affect the pressure inside a droplet?

The surface tension of water plays a major role in determining the pressure inside a droplet. As the surface tension increases, the pressure inside the droplet also increases.

4. What are some factors that can affect the pressure inside a water mist droplet?

Aside from surface tension and droplet radius, other factors that can affect the pressure inside a water mist droplet include temperature, atmospheric pressure, and the presence of other substances in the droplet.

5. Can the pressure inside a water mist droplet be measured experimentally?

Yes, the pressure inside a water mist droplet can be measured experimentally using various techniques such as laser scattering, optical tweezers, or microfluidic devices. These methods allow for the direct measurement of the pressure inside a droplet without disrupting its natural state.