1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bubble pressure

1. Aug 29, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What's the gauge pressure inside a droplet of water mist of diameter 0.1 mm (radius 0.05 mm), assuming that the droplet is spherical? Use a water-air surface tension of 0.07 Jm\(^{-2}\) and specify your answer in bar /atmospheres (where 1 atmosphere pressure is \(1 \times 10^5\) Pa.
    2. Relevant equations
    delta P= 2*0.07/r (in meters)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I subed the value inside the equation and i got 3000pa.. which is 3atm? am i right?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2016 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

It looks like you've chosen the correct formula to use, and your result in Pascals looks good to me for one significant figure of accuracy. Note however that an atm is not 1000 Pa; One atm is to be taken as 105 or 100,000 Pa according to the definition you're given in the problem statement.

4. Aug 29, 2016 #3
    so 0.03?

5. Aug 29, 2016 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Yes, that looks like a good value. Be sure to always specify units on any values that you present!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted