1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bubble ring phenomenon

1. Sep 30, 2008 #1
    Can anyone explain how this works?

Couldn't believe it was air in the water when I first saw it. But it appears to be genuine. I know some deal about quantum theories but am stunned like a dog in front of a mirror by these bubbles in the water - help me out!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2008 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

That's pretty cool, never seen it before.

After watching some of the other videos, I think it's a lot like a smoke ring: a vortex loop.

Making those would make for an impressive lab demo.

4. Sep 30, 2008 #3
    Sure it's said to be a vertex ring, it's said on wikipedia (wellwell...) too. But retaining a vertexring with smoke appears to be something else than THIS, UNDERWATER - I bet you feel what I mean.

5. Oct 1, 2008 #4

LURCH

Science Advisor

I would be interested in recordings of ultrasound during this type of activity, to see if they might be using soundwaves to fine-tune some of the bubble's behavior. Obviously, they're using their own bow-wake to do most of the manipulating.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?