Buck-Boost Converter Problem

In summary, there may be potential errors in the equations used for D2 in the DCM case, specifically in the terms of D1D2R and not including the switching frequency in the denominator. Double checking these equations may help resolve the issue of getting a value greater than 1 for D2.
Captain1024

Homework Statement

jQL1cyW.png

Image Link

Homework Equations

Switching Frequency ##f_s=\frac{1}{T_s}##
##K=\frac{2L}{RT_s}##, ##K_{CR}=(D')^2##
##R=\frac{V_o^2}{P_L}##
In CCM: ##D'=(1-D)##, ##D'=\frac{-DV_{IN}}{V_O}##
In DCM: ##D_2=\sqrt{K}##, ##\frac{V_O}{V_{IN}}=\frac{-D_1D_2R}{2Lf_s}##

The Attempt at a Solution

See attached .pdf for my work. Everything makes sense until I get a value greater than 1 for ##D_2##. (Where ##D_2## is the second region of a full period. In DCM regions 1 and 2, either diode or transistor are conducting. In region 3 neither diode or transistor is conducting and diode current is 0.)

Attachments

• hw6_q2_final.pdf
    887.8 KB · Views: 272
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your work with us. Your solution looks very thorough and well thought out. However, I did notice a few potential errors that may be causing your issue with getting a value greater than 1 for D2 in the DCM case.

Firstly, in your equation for D2, you have written D1D2R instead of D1D2L. This may be causing your issue with getting a value greater than 1, as it would result in a larger value for D2.

Secondly, in your equation for D2 in the DCM case, you have not included the switching frequency fs in the denominator. This may also be causing your issue with getting a value greater than 1, as it would result in a smaller value for D2.

I would recommend double checking these equations and making any necessary corrections. I hope this helps and good luck with your calculations!

What is a Buck-Boost Converter?

A Buck-Boost Converter is a type of DC-DC converter that can step up or step down the input voltage to the desired output voltage. It uses an inductor and a capacitor to store and transfer energy, allowing for efficient voltage conversion.

What is the purpose of a Buck-Boost Converter?

The main purpose of a Buck-Boost Converter is to regulate the output voltage to a desired level, regardless of the input voltage fluctuations. It is commonly used in battery-powered devices to maintain a constant voltage as the battery drains.

What are the advantages of using a Buck-Boost Converter?

Some advantages of using a Buck-Boost Converter include high efficiency, compact size, and the ability to step up or step down the voltage without the use of a transformer. It also has a wide input voltage range and can provide a stable output voltage.

What are the common problems associated with Buck-Boost Converters?

Some common problems with Buck-Boost Converters include voltage spikes, output voltage ripple, and electromagnetic interference (EMI). These issues can be mitigated through proper design and the use of filtering components.

How can I troubleshoot a Buck-Boost Converter problem?

If you are experiencing issues with your Buck-Boost Converter, you can troubleshoot by checking the input and output voltages, as well as the connections and components. You may also need to adjust the duty cycle or replace faulty components to resolve the issue.