Why is my Transistor Reducing Voltage in Buck Converter Modeling?

In summary, the conversation discusses a buck converter with a transistor added between the output resistance and diode. The transistor is always connected to voltage, but it ends up consuming a lot of the voltage. The speaker is unsure of what is happening and asks about the voltage at the emitter of Q2 in relation to the base. They also mention the demand for a high transistor DC gain in this example and suggest looking at the characteristics curves of a 2N2222A transistor.
Chacabucogod
Hi I'm currently modeling a 5-12Vdc buck converter, and just out of nowhere decided to put a transistor between the output resistance and the diode. Now, this transistor is always connected to voltage so it shouldn't do anything at all, it's just a closed switch. What happens is that the transistor ends up eating a lot of the voltage. I don't really understand what's happening.

Circuito.png
output.png

Resistance Voltage. It's 2... when it should be 12.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Actually it's a boost. My bad...

What is the V at the Emitter of Q2 Relative to the base of Q2?

Looks like that a demand for a transistor DC gain (Icollector/Ibase) must be pretty high in this example.
Check out 2N2222A transistor's characteristics curves.

Hello, thank you for sharing your experience with modeling a buck converter. Based on your description, it seems like the transistor you added is acting as a voltage regulator, which is not necessary in a buck converter circuit. The purpose of a buck converter is to step down the input voltage to a lower output voltage, not regulate it.

It's possible that the transistor is creating a voltage drop, causing the output voltage to be lower than expected. I would recommend double-checking your circuit design and making sure the transistor is not causing any unexpected effects. If you are still experiencing issues, I suggest consulting with a more experienced engineer or seeking help from a reputable source to troubleshoot the problem.

What is a buck converter?

A buck converter is a type of DC-DC converter that is used to step down a higher voltage to a lower voltage. It works by using a switching element, such as a transistor, to turn the input voltage on and off at a high frequency, which is then filtered to produce a lower output voltage.

Why is modeling important for buck converters?

Modeling is important for buck converters because it allows engineers to simulate and predict the behavior of the converter before building it. This can save time and resources by identifying potential issues and optimizing the converter's performance.

What are the main components of a buck converter model?

The main components of a buck converter model include the input voltage source, the switching element, the inductor, the output capacitor, and the load. Other components may also be included depending on the complexity of the model, such as parasitic elements and control circuitry.

How is a buck converter model validated?

A buck converter model can be validated by comparing its simulated results with actual measurements from a physical buck converter. This can help identify any discrepancies and improve the accuracy of the model.

What are some common techniques used for modeling buck converters?

Some common techniques used for modeling buck converters include averaged small-signal modeling, state-space averaging, and switching function modeling. These techniques take into account different aspects of the converter's behavior to create an accurate model.