1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bucket and crank

1. Sep 30, 2006 #1
    I have a problem of two parts which I don't know what formulas to use. I would be greatful if someone could help me with it:

A bucket with the mass M is hanging in a cord with the length of L which in turn goes over a pulley with a diameter of D. The pulley has a crank with the length x. The force which is used at the end of the crank is F. How long must x be to make it possible to pull the bucket all the way up, L, in T seconds?

/ / Fp \ F
    II 0= I========
    I \___/
    I D
    L I
    I M I

The second part of the problem is to identify the maximum and minimum force (Fp-max & Fp-min) on the stand (that is the axle in the middle of the pulley).

L,M,D,F,T are known and Fp-max and Fp-min are unknown.

What formulas should be used to solve this problem?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2006 #2

Staff: Mentor

The moment applied to the pulley, which is equal to the force F applied to the crank arm of length 'x', must equal the moment applied by the mass M at diameter, D.

The force applied by the mass M is the sum of its weight and force developed by the acceleration.

One must determine that acceleration in terms of distance, L, and during of acceleration, T.

4. Oct 1, 2006 #3
    thanks a lot of help
  5. Oct 1, 2006 #4
    the second question is easy when you know the first.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?