Solving for Fp: Bucket and Crank Problem with Unknown Forces

• Thread starter cheesy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Crank
In summary, the problem involves a bucket with mass M hanging from a cord with length L over a pulley with diameter D and a crank with length x. The force F is used to pull the bucket up in T seconds. The formulas needed to solve the problem involve finding the moment applied to the pulley and determining the acceleration of the mass in terms of L and T. The second part of the problem involves finding the maximum and minimum forces on the axle of the pulley, Fp-max and Fp-min.
cheesy
I have a problem of two parts which I don't know what formulas to use. I would be greatful if someone could help me with it:

A bucket with the mass M is hanging in a cord with the length of L which in turn goes over a pulley with a diameter of D. The pulley has a crank with the length x. The force which is used at the end of the crank is F. How long must x be to make it possible to pull the bucket all the way up, L, in T seconds?

_____
/ / Fp \ F
II 0= I========
I \___/
I D
L I
I
IIIIIIIII
I M I
IIIIIIIII

The second part of the problem is to identify the maximum and minimum force (Fp-max & Fp-min) on the stand (that is the axle in the middle of the pulley).

L,M,D,F,T are known and Fp-max and Fp-min are unknown.

What formulas should be used to solve this problem?

/Cheesy

Physics news on Phys.org
The moment applied to the pulley, which is equal to the force F applied to the crank arm of length 'x', must equal the moment applied by the mass M at diameter, D.

The force applied by the mass M is the sum of its weight and force developed by the acceleration.

One must determine that acceleration in terms of distance, L, and during of acceleration, T.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mot.html#c1

thanks a lot of help

the second question is easy when you know the first.

1. What is a bucket and crank system?

A bucket and crank system is a simple machine that uses a handle (crank) to turn a rotating shaft and lift a bucket or other objects. The crank is connected to a gear mechanism which rotates the shaft and moves the bucket up and down.

2. How does a bucket and crank system work?

The crank is rotated, which in turn rotates the shaft and the gear mechanism. As the gear turns, it moves the bucket up or down depending on the direction of rotation. This allows for objects to be lifted and moved with ease.

3. What are the common uses of a bucket and crank system?

Bucket and crank systems are commonly used in agriculture, construction, and mining industries to move materials such as grain, soil, and rocks. They are also used in some household items, such as water wells and washing machines.

4. What are the advantages of using a bucket and crank system?

One of the main advantages of using a bucket and crank system is its simplicity. It requires minimal maintenance and can be operated with little training. Additionally, it can lift heavy objects and move them efficiently.

5. Are there any limitations to using a bucket and crank system?

Yes, there are some limitations to using a bucket and crank system. It is not suitable for lifting extremely heavy objects, and the speed of lifting and moving objects may be limited. It also requires physical effort to operate, so it may not be suitable for individuals with physical limitations.