Bucket list - things to do, places to go/see

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    List
In summary: Heidelberg and Trier.In summary, Astronuc mentioned some places he wants to visit before he can't physically do so. These include Alaska, Denali, Norway, China, Japan, South America, Africa, and Antartica.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
Likes Silicon Waffle
Physics news on Phys.org
The Taj Mahal

Astronuc said:
Seeing the northern lights (aurora borealis) in Alaska, and or Canada, Norway and Finland is another.
I've never seen the northern lights (when I was at a ski resort in Sweden once, my friends told me they had seen an amazing display of northern lights in the late evening, while I was at home sleeping :frown:).

Norway is a beautiful country, but expensive. There is some nice scenery in Oslo, but the most interesting thing to me are the Norwegian fjords, which I have heard are incredibly beautiful. Regretfully, I have not visited any (yet).

Likes Silicon Waffle
We've gone to NZ and various places in Asia so maybe Australia is next.

Norway, Ithaca and other parts of Greece, Hokkaido and the Brocken Spectre.

I heard today that the train ride from Interlaken to Montreux is spectacular, or Zurich to Interlaken, Interlaken to Montreux, Montreux to Zermatt, Zermatt to Chur, Chur to Lugano and Lugano to Zurich.
http://www.myswissalps.com/plantrip/doityourself/sampleitineraries/ultimateswissscenictrains

Other SwissRail trips - http://www.myswissalps.com/plantrip/doityourself/sampleitineraries/ultimateswissscenictrains
Greg Bernhardt said:
Moscow to Ulanbataar on Trans-Siberian Railway
That could be somewhat difficult these days.

Ulanbataar is on my list of places to visit.

Likes Silicon Waffle
China, Japan, South America, Africa, and Antartica. With respect to Astronuc's OP, Alaska is one of four U.S. states that I have not visited yet. A Denali visit is also on my list when I go.

Almost forgot: Norway. I have my eye on a cruise up the coast to the fiords all the way to Svalbard.

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
I heard today that the train ride from Interlaken to Montreux is spectacular, or Zurich to Interlaken, Interlaken to Montreux, Montreux to Zermatt, Zermatt to Chur, Chur to Lugano and Lugano to Zurich.
http://www.myswissalps.com/plantrip/doityourself/sampleitineraries/ultimateswissscenictrains
We took one of those through St. Moritz in 2000. Very beautiful and scenic train ride to Zermatt. From Zermatt, I managed to catch this picture from the funicular on the way to Gornergrat which is across from the Matterhorn.

Matterhorn.jpg

Gornergrat also has an active observatory.

Matterhorn and Observatory.JPG

Likes Irol, dlgoff and DennisN
Switzerland is very beautiful, but also expensive...:smile: I've been to St. Moritz, it's lovely. The French, Italian and of course the Austrian Alps are also very nice, I've been skiing a lot in the Alps.

Likes Borg
DennisN said:
Switzerland is very beautiful, but also expensive...:smile: I've been to St. Moritz, it's lovely. The French, Italian and of course the Austrian Alps are also very nice, I've been skiing a lot in the Alps.
St. Moritz in the morning. :smile:

St. Moritz AM.JPG

Likes Silicon Waffle and DennisN
Borg said:
St. Moritz in the morning.
:kiss:

I just came to think about a place in Europe I simply have to mention. If Astronuc or anyone else here is interested in old and/or beautiful places, it would be a crime if I did not mention

Rothenburg ob der Tauber

It features a remarkably large medieval old town, which, when I visited it, made me feel somewhat like I entered into another age of history for real. I like Rothenburg SO much, I've been there a couple of times, this is what it looks like:

640px-Rothenburg_BW_4.JPG

Heidelberg is also pretty close, also a nice place.

Two other places I like to mention is Trier, a historical gem, and Cochem, also very beautiful:

640px-BurgCochem1900.jpg

Likes Silicon Waffle
Getting back on topic. I use TripAdvisor to track the places that I've been and where I want to go. There is also a section for planning out trips in detail. This is my TA map (legend is on the top right).

TravelMap.jpg

Likes dlgoff and Silicon Waffle
DennisN said:
Rothenburg ob der Tauber

It features a remarkably large medieval old town, which, when I visited it, made me feel somewhat like I entered into another age of history for real. I like Rothenburg SO much, I've been there a couple of times, this is what it looks like:

image=http%3A%2F%2Fupload.wikimedia.org%2Fwikipedia%2Fcommons%2Fthumb%2F7%2F71%2FRothenburg_BW_4.JPG
I've been there, and walked that street! I did a seminar there for various European utilities, and the mayor welcomed us. We drank beer from a huge vessel that we passed around to everyone, then we had a nice dinner. I loved the views of the Tauber. As I remember, there is an ancient Roman aqueduct below the town.

I did another seminar in Heidelberg. There is a neat restaurant where the owner owns a number of old instruments from centuries ago. During dinner, the owner played several of the instruments while telling us about the history of the instrument and some of the history of Heidelberg and Germany.

I passed through Trier in 1979 on a trip with my father when we drove along the Moselle. I'd like to go back to visit some of the historic sites.

Last edited:
Likes Silicon Waffle and DennisN
Greg Bernhardt said:
How so?
I'm just thinking about the sour relationship between Russia and US these days. It would certainly be an interesting trip, and one I'd like to do myself. I'd like to go to the Altai region, and the mountains along the borders with Kazakhstan and Mongolia.

Astronuc said:
I'm just thinking about the sour relationship between Russia and US these days.
Can't be worse than some other places I've been :D

Likes dlgoff
Astronuc said:
Seeing the northern lights ...
Perry Lake is 2 miles from my home.

Likes Silicon Waffle and Borg
Everglades Park canoe trails..

I recommend West Lake-Longlake-Lungs-Alligator Creek then on to Flamingo via outside on map below..
About twenty miles and takes all day.
You'll have to hitch a ride back to West Lake if you leave your car there...
10%252520-%252520Flamingo%252520Area%252520Trail%252520Map_thumb%25255B2%25255D.jpg

It starts in fresh water at launch site and of course the bay is salt water

The day i went the most spectacular part came after the mangrove trails, from where you exit Alligator Creek to Flamingo, paddling through flocks of wading birds and schools of redfish. Watched Ospreys catching fish and Eagles dive-bombing them trying to steal their catch... A "National Geographic day".
But don't even think about it in warm months for the mosquitoes cannot be described. Go late December-early March.

Alligator Creek is aptly named. We got a good scare from a crocodile bigger than the canoe.

Likes Silicon Waffle and dlgoff
Astronuc said:
There are numerous places I'd like to see in the next few years before I physically can not do.

Alaska is one place, particularly Denali.

An Alaskan Adventure — Ice Road Trucking Under the Northern Lights
https://www.yahoo.com/travel/an-alaskan-adventure-ice-road-trucking-under-the-111632763557.html

Seeing the northern lights (aurora borealis) in Alaska, and or Canada, Norway and Finland is another.
Now would be the time to go.

Arriving earlier than expected, a CME hit Earth's magnetic field on March 17th at approximately 04:30 UT. At first, the impact sparked a relatively mild G1-class (Kp=5) geomagnetic storm. Since then, however, the storm has intensified to G4-class (Kp=8), ranking it as the strongest geomagnetic storm of the current solar cycle. This storm is underway now.

alaska_strip.jpg

http://www.spaceweather.com/

I want to take a boat out on Lake Superior where you can see 15 ft. straight down to the floor with how clear the water is. Then I want to stay until night on a clear sky and finally see the true night sky without any light pollution.

I've always wanted to travel, starting with my own country - Northern most Australia and Southern most Australia; trekking through the Tasmanian forests. Then travel all over Europe, visit rural Russia in winter, go to Egypt and visit the city that shares my name. I would love to see all these places and more, diving into their cultures. Unfortunately it won't happen for a while, 'cause having money is a necessity to do these things.

Likes davenn
Hi Silver_rose, welcome to PF :smile:

My wife and I have been getting through our bucket list of Australian areas we want to go to
the last one was the Uluru region done last Christmas, an awesome time

got Darwin, Perth and Tasmania left to do

I am ex New Zealand, so have traveled extensively around the country
Done all of the central and western USA several times, for stormchasing and general travel, just need to cover NY down to Florida one day
Several SE Asia countries, would love to get to Japan

cheers
Dave

dlgoff said:
Now would be the time to go.
I have a simple static web page on my computer that has quick links to various sites.
This is one of them - Current Solar Data.
The images below change with changing solar conditions.

status.gif

kpstatus.gif

Likes dlgoff
I'm too young to have a bucket list, but Denali is on my Father's bucket list. Right now we are planning on going up before/when he turns 60 in a few years. Have to make time to practice in the Cascades, and practice mountaineering techniques in the snow and ice. Everyone going has experience with heavy packs in the back country, but mostly in the summer. Also difficult to schedule the actual ascent and practice with our largish group since the expedition takes ~21 days.

Another area I have always wanted to spend a short time at is the Namib desert. I would want to be part of a tour though. Wouldn't want to risk something happening if I was alone there.

I have never been to anywhere out of my city, but will it hurt any if I suggest the OP to somewhere out there ? It's a lie!

1. What is a bucket list?

A bucket list is a list of things that a person wants to do or places they want to visit before they die.

2. Why is it important to have a bucket list?

Having a bucket list allows you to set goals and aspirations for yourself. It also gives you a sense of purpose and motivation to make the most out of life.

3. How do I create a bucket list?

Creating a bucket list is a personal and individualized process. Start by brainstorming activities or places that you have always wanted to do or visit. Then, prioritize and organize your list based on your interests and goals.

4. Is it necessary to complete everything on my bucket list?

No, a bucket list is not meant to be a strict checklist that must be completed. It is meant to serve as a guide and reminder of the things you want to do and experience in life. It is perfectly okay to not complete everything on your list.

5. Can I add or change things on my bucket list?

Absolutely! Your bucket list should be a fluid and ever-evolving document. As your interests and goals change, feel free to add or remove items from your list. The important thing is to make sure your list reflects your current desires and aspirations.