Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bucket of water?

1. Jan 12, 2010 #1
    lets say I have a bucket of water with 5 gallons, could I keep pouring half of the weight out for-ever or would I hit a limit like I couldn't split the water molecule to take out half the weight .

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2010 #2

baywax

Gold Member

This question is right along the lines of one of my pet peeves... which is... how do you get from 1 to 2 if there is an infinite number of increments between the two qualifiers?

In your case, mind you, there is a slightly more concrete problem in that there are molecules that will eventually be removed from the 5 gallon bucket.

But, lets say you're walking step by step... the distance between each step is infinite... according to incremental measurements.... and the point system.... help!?

4. Jan 12, 2010 #3
    ok it helps thanks , then you probably would hate the question if god flips a light switch an infinite amount of times is the light on or off .

5. Jan 12, 2010 #4

baywax

Gold Member

In this problem there are two unknowns.... god and infinite... can't prove god and can't prove infinite... so any answer will do... like "both".

6. Jan 13, 2010 #5

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When you get down to splitting H2O, you're done splitting "water".

If we're talking about an infinite amount of times being done by an entity who has an infinite amount of time, the flipping never stops.

We're done here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook